Return to Glass Box Reefing

Srfnhooker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. I'm returning to reefing after about 10 yrs. Don't know why I suddenly got the itch but I did and now I'm starting to scratch it. I picked up a used 120gd tank w/ stand, 40gb sump, 40gb qt tank w/ stand, aquatic life 4 bulb t5 hybrid unit, octo 202s skimmer along with a few other things. $400. I just received 3 new leds to add to the t5, return pumps, 2 power heads (will probably add 2 more) and Barracuda RODI unit. Still need rock, sand, salt, test kits, etc...

I have a question about the tank. I am doing a reseal job and have removed all the old silicone and overflows. The joints all in good shape. The top center trim/brace is in rough shape and cracked. The glass is 1/2 inch thick. Is it wise to try to remove the top trim or try to repair it using JB Weld or the like and repaint? Could I remove it and use glass bracing or euro brace (if top of glass is in good condition).

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!! I have replaced resealed tanks and replace top and bottom frames so I am familiar with the process. It depends on the tank, it's condition, and your skillset - a lot of things are possible, but not always recommended. Good luck and proceed with caution!

JZ199

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! And welcome back to the hobby!! I'll try to find where I got it from, but for my used 120 I had a while ago, I was able to order a whole new top brace to replace mine. (Center brace was also broke) previous owner used jb weld or some type of adhesive and it didn't hold it together.

20230123_222953.gif

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TANG-WELCOME.gif
If you have any idea who manufactured the tank, give them a call to see if a replacement top frame is available. The frame is an integral part to the tank. If you try to repair, be absolutely certain the repair is rock solid.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
OP
OP
Srfnhooker

Srfnhooker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! And welcome back to the hobby!! I'll try to find where I got it from, but for my used 120 I had a while ago, I was able to order a whole new top brace to replace mine. (Center brace was also broke) previous owner used jb weld or some type of adhesive and it didn't hold it together.

20230123_222953.gif
Thanks jz. Not sure of manufacturer. I'll ask the person I bought it from if they know.

OP
OP
Srfnhooker

Srfnhooker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!! I have replaced resealed tanks and replace top and bottom frames so I am familiar with the process. It depends on the tank, it's condition, and your skillset - a lot of things are possible, but not always recommended. Good luck and proceed with caution!
Thanks. I will try to get a replacement first. If not, I will remove it and euro brace, then do a long water test over a couple weeks. The bottom frame will remain. If it works, great, if not, I'll save and get new but will have to postpone the build.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back