Revert odd behaviour, normal?

potatocouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When the light is off, BTA will expand like no tomorrow.

When the light is on, BTA will sucked all its tentacles in.

Acclimating behaviour?

It seems like it can't differentiate daylight and night.

dylana407

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anemone expand to get more light and expand less when there is too much light. Your nem is too lazy to relocate....XD

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post a pic, if it was bleached it may not be able to process and handle light properly

OP
OP
potatocouch

potatocouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah w/out pics it's a shot in the dark and we could guess all night, also post tanks specs, gear, time running, params

Let's start with those.

Tank 2 foot cube
Gear Kessil A360WE
Sunrise to sunset
Max colour 70% Intensity 40%
So I've been told colour means jack**** for Invertebrates and Corals, Intensity means everything.

Kessil: The A360s are designed to always deliver the best spectrum to your corals, regardless of the color setting, so it is really the intensity that is key to coral growth and coloration. Please let us know if you have any questions and we would be happy to assist you. Thank you.

Start 2.30 pm ramp up then ramp down and conclude at 11.00 pm.

Schedule (color, intensity):
  • 2:30 pm: 0%, 5%
  • 3:48 pm: 25%, 35%
  • 5:36 pm: 70%, 40%
  • 7:24 pm: 70%, 40%
  • 9:12 pm: 25%, 35%
  • 11:00 pm: 0%, 0%
Tunze skimmer 9410
Jebao RW8 dialled to 3 speed non direct hit to anemone.

Water param
Salinity 1.026
Temp 26c
Ammonia 0 ppm
Nitrite 0 ppm
Nitrate 20-40 ppm
Ca 480
Alk 8.5
Mg 1500

Last edited:

Dancingmad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed you asked if this is acclimating behavior -- How long have you had the nem? How old is the tank?

Nems are temperamental beasts - I would suggest more intense lighting (but not too much, nor too quickly). My BTAs sit directly under MH+4xT5 at the top of my aquascape and soak up all the light. Totally thriving. If its brand new to your tank I'd maybe ramp down then slowly ramp up over a week or so. You could find an intensity your getting a better response. Maybe give him a few minutes(or hour, whatever you're comfortable with) a day w/ the wavemaker off to see he there is any interest in getting better access to those sweet, sweet light beams. This is just how I would handle it - your parameters look fine. If they're pretty stable your nem will probably be fine if you just let him do nem things. Don't do any of this if you think it would adversely effect any of your other critters/corals.

Best of luck - I hope you nem gets the way you want 'em. Nem wrangling is unpredictable. Hope others will drop their experiences+opinions :)

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually I would lower the light or screen the nem off first and see how it reacts, maybe it needs to acclimate to light intensity, not sure what it was under before you got it, you can always gradually increase later.

Your nitrates are a tad high if they hit 40, not real bad but obviously work on it.
Pics will help

Back