Revised Stock List 180 gallon

MeanGreenStompa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having done a fair amount of reading since my last post of larger predators etc, I have reduced down the size of the fish and aiming for less aggressive species (although the Emperor will be the king of the tank I'd imagine). Here's my proposed eventual full stock list. I'd like to keep a few softies, torches, hammers etc and a bubbletip anemone for the maroon clowns. Any thoughts? It's a way under the 1inch per gallon rule and the individual fish are now a lot smaller (removed the moray, the picasso trigger etc).
180 gal
AmountSpeciestotal ins
2​
Engineer gobies24
2​
Gold bar Maroon Clowns6
7​
Square Spot Anthias49
1​
Harlequin Tusk8
1​
Cuban Hogfish7
2​
Bluethroat Trigger Pair18
1​
Kole Tang5
1​
Hippo Tang10
1​
Emperor Angel12
1​
Convict Tang7
1​
Richmond's Wrasse7
1​
Flame Angel4
1​
Longnose Butterfly9
22​

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a way under the 1inch per gallon rule

Throw that rule away. It's nonsensical at best.

The large angel and butterfly will most likely eat some of your corals.

There are some big fish in there, especially the emperor, hippo, tusk, and hog... but each one should individually be okay in a 180. I would cut back the list a bit, but it will be up to you. You'll just have to watch the interactions between fishes, and see if you can keep parameters in line.

OP
OP
MeanGreenStompa

MeanGreenStompa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know the Angels are risks to LPS and zoas, but the Longnose butterfly was recommended to me as a reef safe butterfly (I want a copperband but I'm trying to be sensible and get some miles in saltwater under my belt before I attempt that fish).

If I were to make cuts to the list, I'd be looking at the female bluethroat and one of the tangs, likely the Kole, does that seem more reasonable? I am not sure I'd want to reduce the anthias colony further as I feel I'd be into the realms of the male exterminating females lower than 7 fish?

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
but the Longnose butterfly was recommended to me as a reef safe butterfly (I want a copperband but I'm trying to be sensible and get some miles in saltwater under my belt before I attempt that fish).

The only reef safe butterflies are the two Hemitaurichthys species collected for the hobby, pyramid and Zoster. They are plankton eaters. Some people do keep others, but it is a risk, especially with certain LPS and soft corals. I just wanted you to be aware of that.

Is the longnose more hardy than the copperband? I'm not sure about that. Maybe some other people can chime in about that.

If I were to make cuts to the list, I'd be looking at the female bluethroat and one of the tangs, likely the Kole, does that seem more reasonable? I am not sure I'd want to reduce the anthias colony further as I feel I'd be into the realms of the male exterminating females lower than 7 fish?

The amount of stock will be sort of up to you. I think it's too many big fishes, but it's your tank. As long as no one is harming anyone else, and you can keep your N and P in check, then no worries.

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not suee square spots are a good choice as a first time anthias, ive heard they can be kind of finicky and wouldnt be as hardy as some other species, you may want to research them more just to be sure theyre right for you.

A smaller butterfyfish that could work is the burgess (Chaetodon burgessi), grows to 5 inches, fairly reef safe, in my experience, non aggressive, and very hardy and adapts pretyy well to aquarium life for a butterfly. Only downside is that its a little more pricey and im not sure how well it will cope with a lot of those large agressive species youre keeping

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 35 34.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 20.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 28 27.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back