Rex’s 7 Gallon Nano Build

Preme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All,

Welcome To My 7 Gallon Nano Build! I’ve Been In And Out Of The Hobby For Years Now, And Have Had Countless Tanks Of All Sizes. But This Is My First Tank Under 10 Gallons, Feel Free To Follow Me Along On The Build!

Equipment:

Tank - Imagitarium AIO 7 Gallon Tank
Light - Kessil a80 Tuna Blue w/ Kessil Spectral Controller
Return Pump - Sicce Micra 90GPH
Powerhead - CoralBox RN-1
Heater - Marineland precision Heater
ATO - AutoAqua Smart ATO Micro w/ 5 Gallon Reservoir
Substrate - 3 Lbs Of Live Rock, 4Lbs Of Dry Tonga Branch Rock, CaribSea Dry Live Sand
Dosing Pump: May Add One Down The Line If Needed

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Preme

Preme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update 1:
Here’s the equipment I’ve acquired so far.
Planning on adding the rest of the equipment sometime over the next few weeks. Now I just have to wait for the rest of my Tonga rock to arrive, finish up the aquascape and let the tank cycle in.
23C59A69-B272-4DEB-9C40-720B75D83A88.jpeg

OP
OP
Preme

Preme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was building the equipment list, I wanted a very compact powerhead since I’m working with such a small tank. Originally I was going to go with a MP10, but as soon as I found the CoralBox RN-1 I knew I wanted to try it out.

So it’s very similar to an MP10 but there’s about a $115 price difference. It comes with a controller which you can use to change the modes, speed, frequency and feed modes. You can also set channels which allow you to run different modes and speeds throughout the day. The footprint of the RN-1 is very small, I think it has the same length of an MP10 just a larger diameter. As far as noise goes I haven’t had much time to play around with it yet, but from what I can tell it’s fairly quite on speed 2 and pulse mode (which is what I’ll most likely be running when everything’s set up).

I would really suggest this pump to anyone setting up a small tank, or really any tank that’s looking for a cheaper alternative to a MP10. Here’s a few pictures so you can visualize the size of it.
09AEA050-68B3-4444-8D67-06F3582F26AA.jpeg

C80B17AD-E277-4371-8ACC-B0D573B0AEAF.jpeg

B7D11C43-9B08-4CB4-B4A9-B1242F45AFCD.jpeg

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was building the equipment list, I wanted a very compact powerhead since I’m working with such a small tank. Originally I was going to go with a MP10, but as soon as I found the CoralBox RN-1 I knew I wanted to try it out.

So it’s very similar to an MP10 but there’s about a $115 price difference. It comes with a controller which you can use to change the modes, speed, frequency and feed modes. You can also set channels which allow you to run different modes and speeds throughout the day. The footprint of the RN-1 is very small, I think it has the same length of an MP10 just a larger diameter. As far as noise goes I haven’t had much time to play around with it yet, but from what I can tell it’s fairly quite on speed 2 and pulse mode (which is what I’ll most likely be running when everything’s set up).

I would really suggest this pump to anyone setting up a small tank, or really any tank that’s looking for a cheaper alternative to a MP10. Here’s a few pictures so you can visualize the size of it.
09AEA050-68B3-4444-8D67-06F3582F26AA.jpeg

C80B17AD-E277-4371-8ACC-B0D573B0AEAF.jpeg

B7D11C43-9B08-4CB4-B4A9-B1242F45AFCD.jpeg
I like the pump!!

OP
OP
Preme

Preme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took your invitation and came to check things out; I love your equipment list! What are you planning as far as stocking?
I plan on doing a mixed reef but primarily acros. Also going to have a small CUC, along with some other interesting inverts. As of now for fish I’m looking at getting a Picasso Clownfish.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ll have to check your tanks out! You have a build thread? Also I’m really liking the Sicce so far, it’s the next thing to quite.
Sorta. I'll do a build tread for the 3 closer to Christmas. Difficult to keep it from my son.

OP
OP
Preme

Preme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update 2:
So I just filled up the tank, and we’re leak free! I’m going to be adding the sand and live rock for now. Also I ordered 7 pieces of dry Tonga rock, so I’ll be finishing up scaping once that arrives.

I’m going to be adding AquaVitros remediation over the next week, which will hopefully help cycle in the tank faster. I have a bunch of frags from @AquaSD and @FraghouseCorals live sales from the past two weekends. I’ll be putting them in the frag tank until the tanks fully cycled in and ready.

Joe G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update 1:
Here’s the equipment I’ve acquired so far.
Planning on adding the rest of the equipment sometime over the next few weeks. Now I just have to wait for the rest of my Tonga rock to arrive, finish up the aquascape and let the tank cycle in.
23C59A69-B272-4DEB-9C40-720B75D83A88.jpeg

If your tank game, is even close to your shoe game, your gonna be good .[emoji23]
Nice start . Nice kicks [emoji1417]

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lookin' good so far, Rex!

I'm in agreement with Katrina - you've obviously played this game before! I will admit to some curiosity about the labeling of the Imagitarium glass box as a "Freshwater Aquarium". Wonder why they'd make that salt-free specification?

~Bruce

OP
OP
Preme

Preme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lookin' good so far, Rex!

I'm in agreement with Katrina - you've obviously played this game before! I will admit to some curiosity about the labeling of the Imagitarium glass box as a "Freshwater Aquarium". Wonder why they'd make that salt-free specification?

~Bruce
Appreciate it! I’m not very sure why the labeled it as only freshwater. My guess would be that the stock lighting and other equipment that came with the tank is designed for freshwater tanks.

Off to a great start!!! Looking forward to a review of the powerhead after you have it running!
Thanks! I’m hoping I have some time to play around with the pump some more today.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 21 15.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 65 46.4%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 47 33.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back