Rhinecanthus & clown trigger keepers

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 210 grow out & wanting to do some triggers. My current stock I want to go with them is a 5-6" emperor angel, same size scopas tang, 3" narrow line puff, & 14" chainklink moray. I'm going to try but I doubt I'll be able to catch the blue damsels along with a dottyback.

I know the individual deal, but is there a high likely hood these will harm any of the others? Especially the emporer. Im hoping to get the triggers around 3"

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The emporer will usually be the king, even in aggressive trigger tanks. Initially i would be more concerned about him. Rhinecanthus triggers are usually the more even keeled triggers, while they can get aggressive at around 5-6", I wouldn't be overly concerned. They also grow extremely slow so I wouldn't be overly concerned about getting such a small one. Clown triggers do play better when starting at smaller sizes, but I have seen more than one example of an emporer being the king with a clown trigger in the tank. I don't consider the clown trigger to be such a fast grower either. I don't see any problem with the plans.

OP
OP
S2G

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The emporer will usually be the king, even in aggressive trigger tanks. Initially i would be more concerned about him. Rhinecanthus triggers are usually the more even keeled triggers, while they can get aggressive at around 5-6", I wouldn't be overly concerned. They also grow extremely slow so I wouldn't be overly concerned about getting such a small one. Clown triggers do play better when starting at smaller sizes, but I have seen more than one example of an emporer being the king with a clown trigger in the tank. I don't consider the clown trigger to be such a fast grower either. I don't see any problem with the plans.

Ok good. I cant let anything happen to my baby.

Your opinion. Long term what size tank would you say would be good for this? Probably another 12" puff & red coris wrasse. I have a couple options I'm looking at.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok good. I cant let anything happen to my baby.

Your opinion. Long term what size tank would you say would be good for this? Probably another 12" puff & red coris wrasse. I have a couple options I'm looking at.

Doesn't really look like you are into overstocking, so i don't think you are going to have any issues when you upgrade from a 210g. When dealing with aggressive fish, other than tank size, overstocking is the biggest issue. I'm sure what you are looking will be good, theoretically those fish could make it in a 300g.

Oh and I've seen emporers put bluelines in their place, and bluelines can be up there with undulated. But be aware, fish are people too, everyone's different.

OP
OP
S2G

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't really look like you are into overstocking, so i don't think you are going to have any issues when you upgrade from a 210g. When dealing with aggressive fish, other than tank size, overstocking is the biggest issue. I'm sure what you are looking will be good, theoretically those fish could make it in a 300g.

Oh and I've seen emporers put bluelines in their place, and bluelines can be up there with undulated. But be aware, fish are people too, everyone's different.

Ok I'm way good then. This makes me feel a lot better. I been terrified of growing out this emporer only to have the eyes ripped out.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 68 35.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 49 25.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 62 32.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.1%
Back