Rhoads238 60g Cube

Rhoads238

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I wanted to share my build with you all. Its been running for five years as of two weeks ago. I'm looking forward to sharing the progression of my build of the future but will also show some of the photos I've taken along away with both the successes and the failures that we all faced at some point or another.

If you have any questions feel free to ask!

Here is the first full tank shot I took of my tank when I set it up.

first shot.jpg

and here's what it looks like today!

today forum.jpg

And here's some of my favorite photos from over the years I've had the system

crab.jpg

clowns.jpg

clove.jpg

acro.jpg

clown.jpg

fungia.jpg

fts nov 2014.jpg

Theses spiders were among the worst things that ever happened to my tank. They eat acros! Truly a thing of nightmares and wreaked havoc on my sps. Unfortunately i ended up losing almost all of my Acropora because of them.

spiders.jpg

Here's another of an incredibly difficult moment for my reef. About six months ago my apex control module broke and after a month of back and forth with them i finally ended up getting a new control module. This meant that i needed to reprogram all of my outlets and I unfortunately made a huge mistake plugging in my alk dosing pump into a wrong outlet. The pump ran for six hours while I was out of the house. When i came home my tank looked like a snow globe. I tested my water and my dkh was 16. This was the most heartbreaking moment in my reef. Its been awhile since then and I'm ready to start getting more involved in the hobby again.

overdose.jpg

After the overdose I didn't do much with the tank for a few months and now I'm finally getting things going strong again. I'm really looking forward to getting the tank looking great again and sharing it with you all!

Here is the first new addition in a long time. Lyretail Anthias!

anthias.jpg

Please feel free to ask any questions about the system! and thank you for viewing.

-Jason

fungia.jpg

spiders.jpg

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about the troubles, but judging from the before pictures, I have no doubt you'll have it back to "normal" in no time at all. Beautiful tank and great photography.

Sunny Goold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone!

Here's a few more photos I found

9483773130_935fe9e32d_b.jpg
'''

Thank you for viewing!

-Jason

What’s this first one? Looks incredible. Such a great tank - so many cool animals. Sorry about the alk incident - that sucks and same with the spiders.

Oh and welcome to R2R [emoji846]

OP
OP
Rhoads238

Rhoads238

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s this first one? Looks incredible. Such a great tank - so many cool animals. Sorry about the alk incident - that sucks and same with the spiders.

Oh and welcome to R2R [emoji846]

Thank you! its a purple torch coral.

Spiders! Such an uncommon pest. Did you notice any of your fish eating them by chance?

The spiders only came out at night and they would hide in the rockwork during the day. I don't think that my fish were able to get to them. This also made it very difficult figure out what the problem was. I was looking at the tank one night with a flashlight and I saw tiny spiders on one of my corals. I then grabbed my camera with a macro lens and a flash and took the picture seen above. After this i started dipping my corals but because they were in the rock during the day not many were coming off of my frags and colonies. I probably would have had more success with the dips if I was able to dip them at night. They eventually killed all of my acros and starved. A few months later marine biologist from a university contacted me through another reef forum i was on asking if i could send him a sample of them for a dna study but fortunately / unfortunately they were gone. Aside from the fact they were very destructive they were really interesting.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 29.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 35.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 27.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 5.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.5%
Back