Rhodactis (?) are growing wild...

ReefKeeperNick

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys n gals,

I need some advice on my Rhodactis' please. I took a two week holiday with a holiday feeder giving a small feed every two days. On my return I found the corals have grown massively and are dominating the tank! Not a terrible problem and maybe just shows they were happier without a water change? (I normally do weekly as it's a small system).

I would love to get to the bottom of what variety these are exactly as I acquired them from a private seller (my LFS charge an absolute fortune) who told they were Green Emeralds...

Secondly, do you think a lower tank placement would help control them? At night time they close down to about an inch but during light hours they grow about six times in size.

Photos below
IMG20210926191216.jpg

IMG20210926191117.jpg
IMG20210926191236.jpg
IMG20210926191225.jpg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@LRT name that shroom...;):cool:

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a rhodactis? Why can’t I get mine to grow like that, lol.
It’s the species (R. indosinensis). They just get massive (I’ve got some that are 6”+ across. And they split constantly, I started with 2 three or four months ago, and I now have at least ten (and I’ve traded some into the lfs). Mine have more of a purple/green body with fluorescent green nodules (almost the reverse of the ones above).

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s the species (R. indosinensis). They just get massive (I’ve got some that are 6”+ across. And they split constantly, I started with 2 three or four months ago, and I now have at least ten (and I’ve traded some into the lfs). Mine have more of a purple/green body with fluorescent green nodules (almost the reverse of the ones above).
Ah, so it’s like the GSP of the mushroom kingdom. ;)

OP
OP
ReefKeeperNick

ReefKeeperNick

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys.

They came out of very well established system along with the Toadstool Leather and they have been flourishing since the word go!

Anyone in the UK wanna buy one? Haha

OP
OP
ReefKeeperNick

ReefKeeperNick

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T
It’s the species (R. indosinensis). They just get massive (I’ve got some that are 6”+ across. And they split constantly, I started with 2 three or four months ago, and I now have at least ten (and I’ve traded some into the lfs). Mine have more of a purple/green body with fluorescent green nodules (almost the reverse of the ones above)

Thanks for the reply...they are very interesting. I've not any split yet (although my female clown actually split one for me by nipping it to oblivion but a couple of weeks later it's right as rain).

Will have to see if my LFS are interested! Any thoughts on tank placement?

OP
OP
ReefKeeperNick

ReefKeeperNick

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do we think? Shall I drop these guys to the tank floor and have a nice hairy carpet?

Attachments

• 16326818302734583667652069650675.jpg
    16326818302734583667652069650675.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 41

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
they seem to do great anywhere... :) med flow.

Evo R

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing.

By not doing a water change and having a holiday feeder your parameters have gone up a bit and your corals are loving you for it! And to answer your last question, by placing them even lower you run the risk of them trying to get even bigger, as they will try to extent even further because the light will be lower at the bottom.

OP
OP
ReefKeeperNick

ReefKeeperNick

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing.

By not doing a water change and having a holiday feeder your parameters have gone up a bit and your corals are loving you for it! And to answer your last question, by placing them even lower you run the risk of them trying to get even bigger, as they will try to extent even further because the light will be lower at the bottom.
Thanks for the advice! I was surprised that my Nitrates were only around 10ppm on my return and the tank is thriving!!

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T

Thanks for the reply...they are very interesting. I've not any split yet (although my female clown actually split one for me by nipping it to oblivion but a couple of weeks later it's right as rain).

Will have to see if my LFS are interested! Any thoughts on tank placement?
They can go pretty much anywhere. Mine started taking up so much space that I decided to glue the rock they were on to the back wall of my tank (luckily they were on a relatively small, flat rock)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back