Ribbon eel nutrition help (update 2)

alexytman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After last time, being bombarded with replies about how I shouldn't feed a Molly diet to eel...I knew, I was just being understanding of the difficulty of getting one to eat ANYTHING in captivity. That is why mollies is a live option, it ended up being coral food after the eel pestered it to death. However, I had another frog fish tank where I fed ghost shrimps to, I had extras. I recommend ghost shrimps to all juvie eels where they are small and unwilling to eat. They were the perfect size for him. So yeah, in your face, my eel wasn't doomed XP.

Now I have taught it to eat frozen cut up cocktail shrimps and white baits.(some times crab and clams) I think variety is best for any marine creature. I WOULD LIKE SOME IDEAS AND OPINIONS ABOUT RIBBON EELS

OP
OP
alexytman

alexytman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I both recommend and disagree with feeding mollies for first meal. Eels of course will eat mollies but might be difficult to as they might just end up scaring the eel because it is slow as it is still acclimating and scared. I much more recommend crabs and shrimps as they are generally are slower and smaller so eels aren't scared of it.

If trying to feed ribbon eels, I read somewhere they get more food aggressive if the rest of they tank is eating, some how after seeing both my wrasse eating and my clamp for feeding corals it just came out and literally ate from clamp. Idk why But my eel treats it like another living eel. That might be a important iformation :)

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The most successful tank I had seen keeping a ribbon eel is a coworker that kept a ribbon eel in a tank with a group of firefish. Every few days a firefish would go missing, and he would replenish them every 4-6 weeks. He got a deal where he was getting firefish for $5 each. Still an expensive way to feed, but a very cool tank.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back