Ribbon eels and small fish

Ishai Thatcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anybody know if morays like the ghost and black ribbon will touch small fish if the fish are already established in the tank. I have 3 ribbons (2 ghosts and 1 black juvenile) and I’ve noticed they generally leave most fish alone, even feeder fish, and they only really go for weakened or shocked fish. I’ve seen them go after small shrimp before. They are all eating silversides now.
my plan is to put all my smaller fish like gobies, blennies, chromis, royal gramma etc into my big display first, and give them time to get comfortable. Then I wanna put the eels in and hopefully they won’t touch them? If I lose like one fish by trying it’s not the end of the world, I’m just wondering if anyone thinks this might work.
I have my whole tank built around the ribbons, I have pvc tunnel systems under my sand for them to live in.

630DA997-F810-44B2-8BDD-A3410C04BEEC.jpeg

OP
OP
Ishai Thatcher

Ishai Thatcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they can swallow it, its always fair game. Some individuals are more docile than others and may leave the fish alone but it can never be gaurenteed.
Makes sense, I’ve seen the black one try to eat things that were out of his league. Ide love to have both the eels and small fish, but if not it’s not the end of the world. I can still have anthias, wrasse, tangs, blennies... pretty much anything but chromis and royal grammas.

NaturalGothic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ribbon Eels are generally pretty peacful and won’t normally go out of their way to eat small fish. However, if one is dying/injured, or, is tiny enough to fit in it’s mouth, it might. I’ve worked with them a few times and tbh (in my experience) so long as they’re well fed, they aren’t predatory.

NaturalGothic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will warn you, getting them to eat is a huge pain in the neck. Like hardcore obnoxious.

To get these eels to eat, I add a little fresh garlic juice to defrosted mysis shrimp and let it marinate for ten minutes. The garlic helps kill ich from the inside out and stimulates their appetite. I use a spot feeder to get it as close to their lair as possible. I give them very little because I will go back two separate times to make sure everyone ate.

OP
OP
Ishai Thatcher

Ishai Thatcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will warn you, getting them to eat is a huge pain in the neck. Like hardcore obnoxious.

To get these eels to eat, I add a little fresh garlic juice to defrosted mysis shrimp and let it marinate for ten minutes. The garlic helps kill ich from the inside out and stimulates their appetite. I use a spot feeder to get it as close to their lair as possible. I give them very little because I will go back two separate times to make sure everyone ate.
Mine eats silversides cut intro strips, and live mollies, but that’s it. The white ones will eat anything. I think it’s key to keep them in groups though.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you keep those eels long enough they will eat all the smaller fish you mentioned.

OP
OP
Ishai Thatcher

Ishai Thatcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you keep those eels long enough they will eat all the smaller fish you mentioned.
They are the most important thing in the tank to me. So I’ll just forgo the small fish. Think I can get away with a big pair of maroons if they got an anemone?

NaturalGothic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are the most important thing in the tank to me. So I’ll just forgo the small fish. Think I can get away with a big pair of maroons if they got an anemone?
Yeah. The maroon clowns are big enough and aggressive enough to fend for themselves. With or without an anemone. Cinnamon clowns are a good option too.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 37 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back