Ribs on the barbie

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a great weekend... MACNA-2015 was a blast, got to meet a few of y'all and talk shop and now back home and smoking some of my sweet bourbon baby-backs ribs that I prepared yesterday for Labor day, couldn't have asked for a better end to this weekend!

Whats everyone else doing this Labor Day Holiday?

...post up some of you festivities!

Some pictures....
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1441633929.498996.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1441633948.370988.jpg

Last edited:

BryanS4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting ready to go pick up a t5 fixture for the new frag tank.

Had hoped to fire up the smoker as well and get out on the boat for a while, but it's raining and not looking much better later on.

OP
OP
143MPCo

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sitting in front of my laptop wearing sweatpants and dreading school
Find yourself a barbecue pit and go have some ribs Oscar or pulled pork or whatever you like lol.

OP
OP
143MPCo

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting ready to go pick up a t5 fixture for the new frag tank.

Had hoped to fire up the smoker as well and get out on the boat for a while, but it's raining and not looking much better later on.
Well the Lord has blessed us with a great day and I'm taking full advantage of it, I hope you get a chance to get out and do something today even if it is raining good luck man, God bless!

steve&mari

Blessed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad you had a great time and got home safely. Ribs sounds delicious. Mari is working all day the younger 2 kids and I are hanging out last day before school. The 13 year old son wants to learn how to mix sw and do wc ect so doing that with him and my 6 year old daughter is helping us. She loves helping hand dad stuff n does the glass cleaning almost daily when she gets up. Runs the mag cleaner over it whether it needs it or not then wipes the glass off with paper towels. Then her kitten sits on edge of stand in front of tank with her standing watching everything wake up n open. Then grilling burgers n dogs for burgers n chili dogs with chili cheese fries for dinner.

OP
OP
143MPCo

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad you had a great time and got home safely. Ribs sounds delicious. Mari is working all day the younger 2 kids and I are hanging out last day before school. The 13 year old son wants to learn how to mix sw and do wc ect so doing that with him and my 6 year old daughter is helping us. She loves helping hand dad stuff n does the glass cleaning almost daily when she gets up. Runs the mag cleaner over it whether it needs it or not then wipes the glass off with paper towels. Then her kitten sits on edge stand in front of tank with her standing watching everything wake up n open. Then grilling burgers n dogs for burgers n chili dogs with chili cheese fries for dinner.
WOW Steve you've got great kids my friend, can you can train my kids to do the same things, lol good luck with the festivities today!

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I woke up and drove into work forgetting it was Labor Day, just pulled back in my drive way....

I guess I didn't realize how much I have on my mind between moving and moving the tanks I'm just not thinking straight. Lol

OP
OP
143MPCo

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I woke up and drove into work forgetting it was Labor Day, just pulled back in my drive way....

I guess I didn't realize how much I have on my mind between moving and moving the tanks I'm just not thinking straight. Lol
Well I'm laughing right now not because you forgot it was Labor Day but because I've been in that very same boat I typically only make it down to about the end of the street before my wife calls me on the cell phone saying where the heck am I going lol.

It's early so now you have the entire day to plan something for the holiday if you can. Sometimes we just have to let everything go and try to enjoy the breaks in the storm.

Last edited:

steve&mari

Blessed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW Steve you've got great kids my friend, can you can train my kids to do the same things, lol good luck with the festivities today!
Yeah I'm very lucky to have the whole family enjoy and want to be part of the hobby. The 6 year old went to her first frag swap at 3 months old lol. She can name almost every coral we have and points out aptaisa in the Dr office tank saying how the need to kill it. I truly hope she keeps the intensity of her desire to learn. My son wants to learn so he can help do it when I'm sick after chemo.

OP
OP
143MPCo

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was yesterday, but had some of the family over for some labor day/pre-birthday food. Fired up the smoker around 7am and had the two pork shoulders done by 5. Also, got an Apex for my b-day from my girlfriend so I'm excited to set that up tonight.
IMG_1042.JPG
Well first off happy birthday or belated lol.
... Talk about a great gift, that apex is going to make your life so much easier...[emoji106]

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 o'clock the ribs will his the grill/smoker.

OP
OP
143MPCo

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This might turn into a how do you smoke your ribs thread lol, I do a three hour smoke, two hour in aluminum steaming and one hour to glaze with barbecue sauce on the grill... so 3-2-1 is how I do my ribs, what do you all do?

abecker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll smoke for about an hour and a half, wrap for 3 hours or until tender, then toss them on the grill and sauce them. This is for baby backs.

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This might turn into a how do you smoke your ribs thread lol, I do a three hour smoke, two hour in aluminum steaming and one hour to glaze with barbecue sauce on the grill... so 3-2-1 is how I do my ribs, what do you all do?
Dry rub, cook for 2.5 to 3 hours at 275 with cherry and orange wood. Wait for the meat to pull back a 1/4 inch from the bone and baste with wing sauce. let rest in the oven for 30 minutes and they are fall off the bone perfect. I use a 1.5 and down rib. Better than chicken wings

Kurt Copeland

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marinating some steak and headed to the book store. Planning on a few events later today with the wife as it also happens to be my 15-year anniversary. (In the back of my mind, I'm thinking I combined my Labor Day meat budget with my anniversary dinner budget so I can afford to buy something else for the aquarium.)

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Example of finished product

Attachments

• IMG_2452_1.JPG
    IMG_2452_1.JPG
    256.5 KB · Views: 19
OP
OP
143MPCo

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marinating some steak and headed to the book store. Planning on a few events later today with the wife as it also happens to be my 15-year anniversary. (In the back of my mind, I'm thinking I combined my Labor Day meat budget with my anniversary dinner budget so I can afford to buy something else for the aquarium.)
First off happy anniversary Kurt, second off better to keep the wife happy then to splurge on the tank my friend lol.

But what she won't know won't hurt her LOL

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 43 26.5%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 38 23.5%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 38 23.5%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 40 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back