Rich Ross - Home Tank - guess the phosphate

U

User1

View Badges
48B9128B-D9D0-4F69-B651-FA456F9607B8.jpeg

lasers aren’t just for burning vermitids, but for sighting them as well. This one was under an overhang and I couldn’t see it from above,

Always wondered if the laser(s) have any direct effect on the tanks walls be it glass or acrylic.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
48B9128B-D9D0-4F69-B651-FA456F9607B8.jpeg

lasers aren’t just for burning vermitids, but for sighting them as well. This one was under an overhang and I couldn’t see it from above,
Sniper setup...

OP
OP
Thales

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you find the laser?
Do they work on Aiptasia?
Thanks
I got this one a couple years ago from amazon. I am sure there are newer ones. They “work” on Aiptasia but take a long time, so much so that I wouldn’t depend on it. More like a speciality tool for that one peat that you can’t get any other way, but happens to be in a good spot to laser.

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this one a couple years ago from amazon. I am sure there are newer ones. They “work” on Aiptasia but take a long time, so much so that I wouldn’t depend on it. More like a speciality tool for that one peat that you can’t get any other way, but happens to be in a good spot to laser.

Will you please share a link or the specs of this laser? I have a few vermetids to zap!
1579029010364.gif

OP
OP
Thales

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They don't make the one I have anymore, but this seems like it. I want to find a better one

OP
OP
Thales

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cause people check here for this -

EPISODE 11 - Curbside Reefing
Terence and Rich are back! In this episode we explain the gap in episodes, talk about the corona pandemic, what to do and not do to your tank right now, how to shop and support the local and national industry, and somehow find time to talk about the difference between CaRx and two part. And, it turns out, that Rich’s extra co2 cylinder is full and ready to go.
Podcast available here https://podcasts.apple.com/…/the-skimmate-podc…/id1469164785
>>> PLEASE UNDERSTAND THAT DUE TO COVID-19, THIS EPISODE WAS RECORDED OVER THE INTERNET - AUDIO DOES NOT HAVE ITS USUAL QUALITY - WE WILL WORK ON THIS FOR THE NEXT ONE! <<<
Links:
ESV -https://www.esvaquarium.com/
Neptune Aquatics - http://www.neptuneaquatics.com/
Aquatic Collection - https://www.aquaticcollection.com/
Like the show, check us out on Patreon - https://www.patreon.com/skimmate…
Past episodes available at www.skimmate.com
83549374_773924619683121_5293048525142097920_n.jpg

-PAXP-deijE.gif

Play

U

User1

View Badges
Cause people check here for this -

EPISODE 11 - Curbside Reefing
Terence and Rich are back! In this episode we explain the gap in episodes, talk about the corona pandemic, what to do and not do to your tank right now, how to shop and support the local and national industry, and somehow find time to talk about the difference between CaRx and two part. And, it turns out, that Rich’s extra co2 cylinder is full and ready to go.
Podcast available here https://podcasts.apple.com/…/the-skimmate-podc…/id1469164785
>>> PLEASE UNDERSTAND THAT DUE TO COVID-19, THIS EPISODE WAS RECORDED OVER THE INTERNET - AUDIO DOES NOT HAVE ITS USUAL QUALITY - WE WILL WORK ON THIS FOR THE NEXT ONE! <<<
Links:
ESV -https://www.esvaquarium.com/
Neptune Aquatics - http://www.neptuneaquatics.com/
Aquatic Collection - https://www.aquaticcollection.com/
Like the show, check us out on Patreon - https://www.patreon.com/skimmate…
Past episodes available at www.skimmate.com
83549374_773924619683121_5293048525142097920_n.jpg

-PAXP-deijE.gif

Play

Mind if I say thank you :)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for sharing. Would love to see an update of your tank.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Rich,

At one point a few years back you wondered if your high N and P tank was iron (or some other trace element) limited for algae growth.

Did you ever test that?

TIA

Randy

OP
OP
Thales

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Rich,

At one point a few years back you wondered if your high N and P tank was iron (or some other trace element) limited for algae growth.

Did you ever test that?

TIA

Randy

Hi Randy, I did a couple ICP tests last year - October showed 0 µg/l, November showed 6.524 µg/l, so there is that.
I did have a drop in herbivores a year or two ago and got a lot of algae growth, so I am feel confident algae growth is not limited, just eaten by herbivores.
I also redid the secret home lab, changed out all the tanks, and in one of the new ones had massive algae after being away from two weeks. I got rid of it but putting a hang one power head driven filter with a pleated cartridge on the tank, and then pulled what I could by hand and just scraped the rest off and let the filter take care of it. Then added herbivores. No algae problems returned.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Randy, I did a couple ICP tests last year - October showed 0 µg/l, November showed 6.524 µg/l, so there is that.
I did have a drop in herbivores a year or two ago and got a lot of algae growth, so I am feel confident algae growth is not limited, just eaten by herbivores.
I also redid the secret home lab, changed out all the tanks, and in one of the new ones had massive algae after being away from two weeks. I got rid of it but putting a hang one power head driven filter with a pleated cartridge on the tank, and then pulled what I could by hand and just scraped the rest off and let the filter take care of it. Then added herbivores. No algae problems returned.

Thanks, Rich!

Randy

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

When I see threads about algae problems I always wonder whether the person has any herbivorous fish or not. I had a one spot foxface that was getting too big for my tank, so brought him to my LFS to trade for a small one. In the three weeks that it took for them to get a small one in stock, I had a huge algae explosion, and about three weeks after I got the new one, it was almost all gone again. I had no idea that one fish made that much of a difference with algae control.

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The podcasts are a blast. I hope that you guys can continue them.

I used a similar method on my tank and am reasonably happy with the results. My rock is a wee bit nutrient loaded, so its been a bit of a rinse and repeat thing for me lately but with better result
When I see threads about algae problems I always wonder whether the person has any herbivorous fish or not. I had a one spot foxface that was getting too big for my tank, so brought him to my LFS to trade for a small one. In the three weeks that it took for them to get a small one in stock, I had a huge algae explosion, and about three weeks after I got the new one, it was almost all gone again. I had no idea that one fish made that much of a difference with algae control.
That’s one reason I’m strongly considering a yellow tang to pair with my rabbitfish. I suspect that the tag team of mouth types will cover most of my algae. I’m just not certain that I really want another large fish, particularly one that can be fairly aggressive.

tripdad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s one reason I’m strongly considering a yellow tang to pair with my rabbitfish. I suspect that the tag team of mouth types will cover most of my algae. I’m just not certain that I really want another large fish, particularly one that can be fairly aggressive.
Consider a Tomini tang, they don't get as big, have very similar feeding style as a yellow and are normally less aggressive IME.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 26.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 40 32.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back