OP
Thales

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some STN going on this week, both on this (I think) Red Planet and the blue purple coral behind it. Could be from a salinity drop (1ppt, but maybe) or temp drops (seasonal) or the corals finally coming into contact with each other in a way they didn't like. Or something else - the Red Planet is like 7 years old so maybe it is just old. Not going to do anything about it at all at this point. Fingers crossed it doesn't spread more.

IMG_2212.jpg

U

User1

View Badges
Some STN going on this week, both on this (I think) Red Planet and the blue purple coral behind it. Could be from a salinity drop (1ppt, but maybe) or temp drops (seasonal) or the corals finally coming into contact with each other in a way they didn't like. Or something else - the Red Planet is like 7 years old so maybe it is just old. Not going to do anything about it at all at this point. Fingers crossed it doesn't spread more.

IMG_2212.jpg

I have nothing to offer than I hope you have a good day and the tank corrects it and/or the coral recovers. Just on a haunch what about that green polyp thing under it? Could that be causing irritation? I had a birds nest frag that was doing fine. Then a green paly thing started to grow around it and I left them alone. Now the polyps are touching the birds nest and it is irritated and showing similar signs.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_2212.jpg
Knowing that corals need stability, the issue is obvious. Too many changes. You had been releasing 2 podcasts a month and here we are at December 19th and there isn't any Skimmaahte content yet. I would do a 50% intro music change and then release 3 new episodes ASAP.

Samina

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Knowing that corals need stability, the issue is obvious. Too many changes. You had been releasing 2 podcasts a month and here we are at December 19th and there isn't any Skimmaahte content yet. I would do a 50% intro music change and then release 3 new episodes ASAP.
Ummmmm yes!l, like what is going on!!!! I know holidays can make schedules crazy, but there’s no excuse after the start of the year!

But on a side note, sorry to see that happen to those colonies.

OP
OP
Thales

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Work travel and some extended personal issues have gotten in the way of recording - and it looks like a new one might get in the way some more. Boo!

OP
OP
Thales

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The STN on the red planet seems to have stopped. The first skeleton that showed is now greening up. This is good.
The second pic is wider and you can see some of the STN on the topp coral, which also seems to have stopped.
IMG_9428.jpg

IMG_1106.jpg

OP
OP
Thales

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it is a flow issue. The gyre on the left side of the tank gives these corals a lot of motion. That gyre has been goofing and going off program and doing nothing, but if it is power cycled it comes back on properly. I thought I was power cycling it often enough, about once a week, but I just did an experiment and it looks like it needed to be restarted daily. Which also explains why the STN may have stopped.

I now have the APEX programed to cycle the outlet daily so that flow will be doing what it is supposed to do once again. When I get time, I'll switch out the pump and the APEX interface and see if I can isolate the problem. Honestly, I probably wont do that last if the daily power cycling works. I AM KING LAZY

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I now have the APEX programed to cycle the outlet daily so that flow will be doing what it is supposed to do once again.

I was wondering why you were asking those Apex programming questions on Facebook, makes sense now... Are you using Maxspect Gyres, and if so, programming the flow with their controller? I have been running two pumps on the 230 controller for quite a while and have not (AFAIK) seen the problems that you described.

OP
OP
Thales

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering why you were asking those Apex programming questions on Facebook, makes sense now... Are you using Maxspect Gyres, and if so, programming the flow with their controller? I have been running two pumps on the 230 controller for quite a while and have not (AFAIK) seen the problems that you described.
Two of the early gyres. Being controlled through that ice cap interface, which there are two of. I might try changing how it is wired.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two of the early gyres. Being controlled through that ice cap interface, which there are two of. I might try changing how it is wired.

Rich, do you have any other pumps low in your system for flow? Being it's a packed tank.

OP
OP
Thales

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rich, do you have any other pumps low in your system for flow? Being it's a packed tank.
The main return hits the front glass in the middle and heads down to the left. There are three loc line runs to spin streams pointed down. And there is a closed loop to two penductors along the back wall.

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Mine are using the Maxspect controller, maybe that's the difference.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run the Icecaps off my of GHL and don't have that issue unless I go a few months without cleaning them. If they bind up, the Icecap seems to sense it and shuts them down. The red light on the icecap flashes when that happens. I have also had it happen if a big chunk of food or a small snail gets up in the impellers.

Edit: running 4 XF250's off the Icecaps.

OP
OP
Thales

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine are using the Maxspect controller, maybe that's the difference.
I have two of the icecap interfaces. One is fine the other is not. They both have two channels, so when I get round2it, I'll try them both on the same or switch the channels and see if that continues.

ksed

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you find the laser?
Do they work on Aiptasia?
Thanks

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 118 58.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.5%
Back