Rimless SC-150 Upgrade inlc 20'' Synergy Ext Overflow box

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE: I WENT 1.5'' drains and it will be getting reduced down to 1'' after a min of 5 inches - about -4'' below the Sch 80 Unions. It's a-coming! Just waiting on my Custom sump and let the plumbing began!.. All Plumbing parts will be either red or grey!

Overflow#2.jpg

IMG_6222.JPG

IMG_6221.JPG

BOTTOMCABINET.JPG

Last edited:

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good. I just chose to do the same (similar enough anyway) size tank with 16" Shadow overflow. I like the look of the plumbing color choices.

What are the dimensions of the tank?

OP
OP
FLSharkvictim

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why are you reducing your drains? Just curious

@George Lopez - My sump has 2 1'' bulkheads and my 3rd drain will run into the middle compartment where refugium is located. I was going to go all the way with 1.5'' drains but have you ever seen the size of it and the 1.5'' Spears Gate Valve, its HUGE!!
per Synergy long as you have a min of 4'' of 1.5'' drains than they can be reduced down to 1'' it will totally work fine and that's exactly what I will be doing but mine is like 6'' then reduced down to 1''. I will be either running an Ecotech M1 pump (2000gph) or a Reef Octo Varios-8 (2700gph) for the return pump. Feel free to follow my 150 tank build journal.

OP
OP
FLSharkvictim

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was a dry fit run on my Synergy Overflow box! When it's done TRUST ME, it will look nice and tight! I am currently having @OceanboxDesigns custom build my GHL DOsing pump holder that will be the GHL colors Black and White made out of Acrylic to match my GHL dosing pumps. and my ProfiLux4 controller will be installed on a shelf inside of my cabinet. All wires will be tucked up under a raceway track for wire management. I have been planning this build for over a year and it's finally starting to come along, nice and slow!!
Here is a pretty wicked shot of the new build with some of my show pcs from VidaRock & Aquarocks!

IMG_6233.JPG

d_adler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking about getting a 16” overflow on a sc 120 but I’m wondering what is the water level you have from the water to the edge of the tank? How do you like this current set up?

OP
OP
FLSharkvictim

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice to meet you @d_adler ! I absolutely love it and i am so glad that Steve over @ SCA Aquariums recommended my custom Rimless 150! I just almost competed my dry fit run before i start glueing all my Sch 80 plumbing for my Synergy 20'' external box.
On my plumbing for my Synergy I am only going to be running my 1.5'' drains for only 4-5 '' and then I will be reducing it down to 1'' that will be plumbed into my 2 1'' bulkheads and for the emergency drain it will be ran off into my Refugium section of my sump.

IMG_6222.JPG

Tbabcock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just built the same set up with the Shadow overflow and reduced it when it turned into the stand. I did leave my emergency overflow a full 1 1/2" because if it is ever needed i want a big path for the water.. lol.
And yes 1 1/2" Valves are stupid big.
9403.jpg

Mr E Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank! I've been wanting to get that same setup... you mind telling how much the tank cost+shipping? Also, any problems with water splashing out of the tank on a rimless?

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@George Lopez - My sump has 2 1'' bulkheads and my 3rd drain will run into the middle compartment where refugium is located. I was going to go all the way with 1.5'' drains but have you ever seen the size of it and the 1.5'' Spears Gate Valve, its HUGE!!
per Synergy long as you have a min of 4'' of 1.5'' drains than they can be reduced down to 1'' it will totally work fine and that's exactly what I will be doing but mine is like 6'' then reduced down to 1''. I will be either running an Ecotech M1 pump (2000gph) or a Reef Octo Varios-8 (2700gph) for the return pump. Feel free to follow my 150 tank build journal.

Do you have a build thread on here?

OP
OP
FLSharkvictim

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great question, I am getting ready to build one, since I almost have everything I need to start the new 150 build except for my GHL 2.1 dosing pump and my GHL MAXI doser for my AW'Cs.
Need to make some adjustments on my saltwater mixing station as well! Question for you @hybridazn- where is the best place to start the build thread at mate? I did not see a tank journal like another sites have! I mean I got tons of pics when the tank was coming off the semi truck, which will be fun to go
through and post all of the pics. Most important is the hard plumbing, that I would like to share with others so they can get a few ideas from me or maybe not :(

@Tbabcock - nice set up, WOW, going to look sort of like mine, except it I will be all red and grey fittings along with a SPEARS GATE VALVEs & a few Cepex ball Valves!! Also, I will be running all GHL, my new GHL ProfiLux4 Ultimate kit controller and my GHL MAXI pump for my AWC's . Also, currently I am having a company called OceanBox Deigns. They are building me a custom acrylic in Holder for my GHL controller and pump..
Anyhow, back to your 16'' shadow box, you have the 1.5 emergency pipe - you plumbed it right into the Refuge A?

Last edited:
Back