culvern22

culvern22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't help with the biuld but.
R2R Welcome.jpg
Thanks so much! I’m taken back by how cool people are on here. Gives me faith in humanity lol!

OP
OP
culvern22

culvern22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I'd be hesitant to go less than 10mm on the glass thickness. IMs 30L when they first came out used 8mm on a 3 foot span on a 16" tall tank and they had serious bowing problems. And I do agree to not to underestimate the heaviness of glass. It's something people often forget and myself included, took me off guard when I had my custom tank delivered.

That’s sound advice. I’m going to change the sketch to utilize 10mm glass. I’ll re-post the dimensions if anyone’s bored. I used my fraction calculator so everything seems to add. I’ve also changed the silicone gap from 1/16” to 1/8” because that extra silicone is chump change when compared to a blown out reef tank in my house!

Stand by for updated drawings...

OP
OP
culvern22

culvern22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would do glass around the bottom. here is one i built for a friend years ago i wanna say i used 10mm for it. similar to your dimensions.

DSC_0166_zpsb06dad62 by shaun s., on Flickr

used momentive rtv103 and momentive rtv108

Thank you for posting this pic! It's nice to see something like this to help visualize similar dimensions on an empty tank.

OP
OP
culvern22

culvern22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the updated dimensions with 10mm glass and a wrap around configuration. Pretty sure the glass panel cuts are accurate to accommodate the 10mm glass, as well as a 1/8" gap for silicone. I'm putting the sketches together as well for a configuration where we attach the glass to the top of the bottom panel as an alternate option. Thanks in advance for any advice or constructive criticism.

Culver_GlassBox_48x12x14_10mm_Glass_Page_1.png Culver_GlassBox_48x12x14_10mm_Glass_Page_2.png

coseal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would base the silicone spacing on what you have available as a spacer....i like cut up zip ties myself :cool:

.125 is a pretty large gap imo

OP
OP
culvern22

culvern22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a pretty good benchmark. And I have plenty of 14" zip ties. Thanks! At some point tho, I have to make the most educated decision on glass measurements bc that low-iron hurt$ the wallet.

Last edited:

coseal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you have a fabricator local? when i was in the building tanks hobby all the mom and pop glass shops bought from one distributor who cut the sheets on cnc and did the edge work. that distributor had a panel min charge so if their min was 2sqft and your panel was 1sqft..... you paid for 2! so if you get some outrageous quotes thats likely the cause.

Liron Mishal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1/8" is very wide for a silicone gap.
Silicone is there to adhere and seal.
Adhesion works on the surface of the glass and you dont need much silicone to create a good adhesion.
The wider it is, the more stress it needs to withstand instead of the glass.
Although silicone is strong, i would still go with 1.5mm (1/16").
Enjoy your build, work clean, accurate and post pictures

OP
OP
culvern22

culvern22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you have a fabricator local? when i was in the building tanks hobby all the mom and pop glass shops bought from one distributor who cut the sheets on cnc and did the edge work. that distributor had a panel min charge so if their min was 2sqft and your panel was 1sqft..... you paid for 2! so if you get some outrageous quotes thats likely the cause.

This is super helpful. I’ll feel out my local place in Grand Rapids. They’re a massive shop and have contracts with all the arenas, high-rises, etc so I’m not sure if that bodes well. Let me know your thoughts. What you’re saying makes a lot of sense tho. I’m at this point because I’ve gotten some ridiculous quotes from glasscages.com (what a joke) and customaquariums.com. Customaquariums would obviously have been a full build but glasscages wanted over $750 + $225 shipping for just the raw, beveled panels. The biggest problem in this hobby is the insane markup on the equipment.

OP
OP
culvern22

culvern22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Bob-

I actually used Vos Glass downtown. They were super helpful and didn’t make me feel like a weirdo during my inquiries and whenever I asked very specific questions regarding glass specs and if they could accommodate my exact needs. I’ll tell ya that low-iron glass ain’t cheap. But... I spent way less money on glass and materials than I would have on a finished custom tank. Several hundred less. Thanks for touching base, Bob! Hope you and yours are going well with this lockdown!

Bob Lauson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually had the same experience with Vos Glass although on a smaller scale. I need some pieces for glass for an overflow and they were excellent to work with despite my meager needs. Walking into their nice showroom/office I did not expect such a response.

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I'd be hesitant to go less than 10mm on the glass thickness. IMs 30L when they first came out used 8mm on a 3 foot span on a 16" tall tank and they had serious bowing problems. And I do agree to not to underestimate the heaviness of glass. It's something people often forget and myself included, took me off guard when I had my custom tank delivered.
I was completely unaware of any serious bowing problems with the 30L... mine is 8mm. :-(

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was completely unaware of any serious bowing problems with the 30L... mine is 8mm. :-(

To my knowledge the issue was fixed and it was only the first generation of 30L's that had it. It might have been even thinner glass than 8mm on the originals, it's been sooo long since they were first introduced it's hard to find the exact thickness. I'm not sure how they went about fixing it just I haven't seen an issue of bowing in a very long time.

guerosfishroom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did your tank turn out?? I run a glass shop by trade but sometimes build tanks for people or myself. GE silicone is really good stuff. its GE SCS1200 by your dimensions 3/8 glass would of been enough but always good to have peace of mind. 1/16 gap is also enough for the gaps. If you need any more direction don't hesitate to message.

TheJoshuaPlan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking at doing the same thing as the OP. My question is on silicone though. Does SCS1200 or RTV108 need to be used for tank building? Do these silicone types have different qualities compared to other silicone?

coseal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
scs1200 or rtv108/103 is all i ever used, i used momentive rtv mostly i think because i liked the working/skin time.

cure times,skin times and even sheer/tensile strength will be different from one brand to another.

are you looking at home center silicone? the above mentioned products are easy to get via amazon/ebay...

davidchronowski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would do glass around the bottom. here is one i built for a friend years ago i wanna say i used 10mm for it. similar to your dimensions.

DSC_0166_zpsb06dad62 by shaun s., on Flickr

used momentive rtv103 and momentive rtv108
I’m looking to do a 48x16x12 or 48x14x14 with an old 75 gallon I’m breaking down. Will I need to brace it? the glass is 9mm

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back