Rinse or don't rinse bagged live sand?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, will someone with a canister filter, nylon mesh for media, liquid ammonia and a simple test kit decide on paper once and for all:

Does wet sand show up with active nitrifiers

Does pre rinsing destroy that ability if the sand is indeed live

Don't y'all think it's funny we've all put such passion into something that no confirmed measures exist for

somebody end that

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that was fun....

20220409_192831.jpg

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that set me back. Have to clean everything out and start the cure over. Will rinse sand from here on out!

20220413_210714.jpg

snorklr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my useless and untested theory is that your bag of live sand/gravel leaves the factory pretty clean...then its stacked on pallets and shipped on trucks and flung around by delivery people and LFS employees causing it to rub together and be crushed into finer granules...so some bags are going to be much cloudier than others

SaltyYeager

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is a pretty Old Post. But unless you're hooked up to a well system and even that's risky. Pesticides and such. I will completely advise against rinsing anything with tap water as chlorine and chloramines are poison and do kill bacteria. That's why they're using municipal water sources. However I would not shy away from rinsing anything in mixed salt water. For the simple fact that if it's truly is in there I don't think you want to kill it.

iMi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also recommend not rinsing it. Yes, you'll have milk for water in the first couple of days and it's a royal pain in the behind but the whole point of it is to retain the beneficial bacteria spores. I use Clarity and a 50 micron filter mesh inside the sock(s) and replace daily or twice a day until all is clear. Within about a week or so the water is clear as ice.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 21 48.8%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 11 25.6%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 10 23.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.3%
Back