rnegret cornbred chalices opinion

Nuocmam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was my picture and my acro wasnt even lineaged as a "red robin stag". Im in canada......if anything I would say my acro in question which I believe is a.convexa is more like PC rainbow acro but no lineage there either.
pro

So two issues that bothered me somewhat is that he used it with out permission to sell something and that they are not proven to be even the same. Also it's probably not the first time he has used this method.

But like I said before ...it bothered me but not to the point that I cared to do anything about it.

I do find it funny that there is a 5pg thread slamming someone for doing the exact same thing but most people here think its Ok for Rich(nregret).

So the coral pictures isn't even the same coral for sale?

RalphsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have bought from him a few times. It was before the $800 boogers became part of his lineup, though. I prefer to do a little hunting and find pieces elsewhere, for much less. I am not into the "name game" and feel it is a stunt to overprice corals. Do I have named pieces? Yes. Because I like they way they look, not because someone has put a goofy name on it. I enjoy this hobby, however quite a few people have gotten really greedy with it. It's to the point that it is almost a rip-off with some of these online vendors. But, the saying "a fool and his money are soon parted" rings very true in this hobby.

Pretty harsh words from both of you guys. I have purchased with him a couple of times. He has never let me down and one of the coolest guys to deal with in the business. In the coral world if you want a named piece you gotta pay for it. The pictures he has on e-bay depict the size of the frag perfectly I think. The "boogers" as you call them are exactly that and they do sell. If you want a crazy looking chalice like the rainbow crush then you have to pay for it. Do you think a 1 eyed frag of a chalice is going to be 1"x1". The pictures are exact to what i recieved. Who said he doesn't have his own camera or doesn't have a professional photographer or is a professional photographer for that matter? The exact frags that are shown on e-bay are the exact frag that you recieve, how do you fake that?

duke4130

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have bought from him a few times. It was before the $800 boogers became part of his lineup, though. I prefer to do a little hunting and find pieces elsewhere, for much less. I am not into the "name game" and feel it is a stunt to overprice corals. Do I have named pieces? Yes. Because I like they way they look, not because someone has put a goofy name on it. I enjoy this hobby, however quite a few people have gotten really greedy with it. It's to the point that it is almost a rip-off with some of these online vendors. But, the saying "a fool and his money are soon parted" rings very true in this hobby.

Understood.... I have some unamed corals that i like better than some of the named ones.. We are talking about 1 coral that cost $800 in his lineup and that is a piece that you can not find anywhere else and if you do, you have to worry about flakes, and most likely shipping then someone that will take your money and not ship...etc... I would rather pay a little more with Rich than to go through the aggravation of having to deal with flakes sometimes.I know if I buy something from Rich it is going to come in alive and healthy and healed. Rich has the best packaging that i have seen, he also realizes that you just dropped $800 on that little 1 eyed frag he will most likely throw in a freebee to ease the pain...LOL... He isn't charging $1500 like other places for little 1 eyed frags (which he probably could) I personally think that the rainbow crush is one of the nicest chalices I have seen and reasonably priced compared to some other guys that sell other collector chalices. Over all, i think he is a cool guy and a very generous person and has great communication and honestly, I have been into high end collector corals for the past couple of years and I have to say he has some of the nicest stock around.

Last edited:

BillyC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Understood.... I have some unamed corals that i like better than some of the named ones.. We are talking about 1 coral that cost $800 in his lineup and that is a piece that you can not find anywhere else and if you do, you have to worry about flakes, and most likely shipping then someone that will take your money and not ship...etc... I would rather pay a little more with Rich than to go through the aggravation of having to deal with flakes sometimes.I know if I buy something from Rich it is going to come in alive and healthy and healed. Rich has the best packaging that i have seen, he also realizes that you just dropped $800 on that little 1 eyed frag he will most likely throw in a freebee to ease the pain...LOL... He isn't charging $1500 like other places for little 1 eyed frags (which he probably could) I personally think that the rainbow crush is one of the nicest chalices I have seen and reasonably priced compared to some other guys that sell other collector chalices. Over all, i think he is a cool guy and a very generous person and has great communication and honestly, I have been into high end collector corals for the past couple of years and I have to say he has some of the nicest stock around.

I don't doubt that his corals are nice or that he's a good guy. It's just absurd that he uses other people's pictures to represent what he's selling when it's a totally different coral altogether. It's not really honest at all.

I have witnessed it first hand. I found my friend's picture of his rainbow millepora on his eBay listing except he changed the name to "blow pop" Mille. The most ridiculous thing about it is that he saturated the picture like crazy. Now if that is not misleading or dishonest, then I don't know what is.

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those of you who feel his using pictures without permission is ok, I suggest you read the laws regarding intellectual property rights. By law, the image is the property of the photographer (regardless of whether or not the image is copyrighted) and permission should be obtained for its use. The sad thing is that if he took the 10 minutes to contact the photographer, he probably would have been granted permission. I just see it as a reflection of poor business ethics.

Nuocmam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man if anybody here sold corals with pics of different corals altogether regardless if they were his or not we would put them on blast like you wouldn't believe. But it's ok if he's a nice guy? Really? Of course he's nice to you. You are giving him money. I will be nice to you if you give me money. Heck more money will get you more freebies. Many of the vendors here will act like your best friend if you spend some money with them. If they were mean or jerks to you then you wouldn't be a repeat customer and stop giving them money. See how the word "money" keeps coming up? And please lets not turns this discussion into a who pays how much for 1 eye of such and such. There's other threads for that. Do I agree with his practice of using stolen photos or photos that aren't even of the same coral for sale? Absolutely not.

That being said would I purchase say a Rainbow Crush or Crazy Clown from him? Maybe. Only because he has what I want not because how nice he is to me when I'm giving him my hard earned money. If I wanted somebody to be nice to me when I give them lots of money it wouldn't be from a dude on the Internet :D just sayin.

Wesley42079

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course he's nice to you. You are giving him money. I will be nice to you if you give me money. Heck more money will get you more freebies. Many of the vendors here will act like your best friend if you spend some money with them. If they were mean or jerks to you then you wouldn't be a repeat customer and stop giving them money.

True statement and I agree woth you 100%.

I dealt with a vendor who was very nice to me when I spent $600+ on corals.

The moment something was wrong with the package, he didn't want to give me a reasonable offer to fix the issue.

Would I deal with that vendor again? No.

And using another reefers photo is wrong. If you are able to sell $800 frags, you should be able to pay someone to take pictures of your corals.

Or, learn how to take great pictures instead of leeching somebody elses.

duke4130

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True statement and I agree woth you 100%.

I dealt with a vendor who was very nice to me when I spent $600+ on corals.

The moment something was wrong with the package, he didn't want to give me a reasonable offer to fix the issue.

Would I deal with that vendor again? No.

And using another reefers photo is wrong. If you are able to sell $800 frags, you should be able to pay someone to take pictures of your corals.

Or, learn how to take great pictures instead of leeching somebody elses.

Everyone is has a right to there own opinion and I respect that. My question is as I said in a previous post, If I have a tyree pink watermelon chalice (for example only) that I am trying to sell, the pictures that i am taking are not coming out correctly or depicting the true coloration of the coral. I pull a picture of the mother colony from the place that I purchased the colony from to sell my frag and I am not saying "WYSIWYG" but this is the colony that the frag originally came from.... Is that wrong to do???.. Or if i use another picture from a web site that has a Tyree pink watermelon and not saying it is WYSIWYG is that wrong also? We all know it is a Tyree Pink Watermelon. If it is saying WYSIWYG then I do believe that would be a problem but it is not stating that

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone is has a right to there own opinion and I respect that. My question is as I said in a previous post, If I have a tyree pink watermelon chalice (for example only) that I am trying to sell, the pictures that i am taking are not coming out correctly or depicting the true coloration of the coral. I pull a picture of the mother colony from the place that I purchased the colony from to sell my frag and I am not saying "WYSIWYG" but this is the colony that the frag originally came from.... Is that wrong to do???.. Or if i use another picture from a web site that has a Tyree pink watermelon and not saying it is WYSIWYG is that wrong also? We all know it is a Tyree Pink Watermelon. If it is saying WYSIWYG then I do believe that would be a problem but it is not stating that

As long as you get permission from the owner of the photo and provide proper credit for the photo, it's fine. However, using the photo without permission is illegal. For the sake of ethics, it should also be pointed out that the image is not of your own colony, but that of said vendor.

KJAG

Rogue
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The photography enthusiast crowd would tell you that your example is indeed wrong, and you'd be possibly subject to legal repercussions. I respect intellectual property laws, and agree that they're important, but personally think it gets blown out of proportion by over zealous amateur photographers. A guy buys a Canon EOS 5D Mark III, reads a few lighting tips and all of a sudden he's Art Wolfe. In Negrets case though, I agree with most here: he's a good guy to deal with, but its tacky to so blatantly poach others photos.

Paul C.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally have bought numerous times from Rich. I cant speak highly enough about him. His chalices arrive well packed, colors as seen from his auctions, and always a gift. I have lost some of his pieces, and i chalk that up to my own inexperience. I have called Rich many times with questions about certain things, and he has always answered my questions, and returned my missed calls. I hate to hi-jack this thread, but i believe this answers Reeferbills original post.

Next thing that should be argued is lineage. Should we give a piece a "Naming Birth date" and hand out adoption cards for every piece sold to prove it is what its being called? Can we only buy a piece from the original "namer" or is it allowed for us to purchase (usually at a reduced price) from another hobbyist? I buy what i like, when i see it.

Lets be honest folks, there are many that sell corals using enhanced pics. Isn't that considered mis-representation of a product? Put the piece on a black rack, or black back ground to make the colors pop. Its all part of getting a sale. As for seeing a pic that has been enhanced or uses some sort of photo trickery, i look to the vendor, his reputation holds more value to me than a pic of a piece that will never look the same in my tank. Something dies in my tank, i can guarantee 95% of the vendors here will say, "must be ur conditions, or the lighting, or too much flow" Its all a gamble when u buy living things. Happy today somewhere else, unhappy tomorrow in my tank.

Last edited:

Wesley42079

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone is has a right to there own opinion and I respect that. My question is as I said in a previous post, If I have a tyree pink watermelon chalice (for example only) that I am trying to sell, the pictures that i am taking are not coming out correctly or depicting the true coloration of the coral. I pull a picture of the mother colony from the place that I purchased the colony from to sell my frag and I am not saying "WYSIWYG" but this is the colony that the frag originally came from.... Is that wrong to do???.. Or if i use another picture from a web site that has a Tyree pink watermelon and not saying it is WYSIWYG is that wrong also? We all know it is a Tyree Pink Watermelon.

In my opinion, it would be ok to use the vendors picture of the mother colony you got the frag from, but you will need the original photographers permission and the For Sale post should state that it is NOT a WYSIWYG.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Reef2Reef Aquarium Forum mobile app

Paul C.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. We ALL know the risks in this hobby, some in our control and most not. When it comes to Vendors, Rich is up there with some of the best. IMHO

duke4130

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion, it would be ok to use the vendors picture of the mother colony you got the frag from, but you will need the original photographers permission and the For Sale post should state that it is NOT a WYSIWYG.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Reef2Reef Aquarium Forum mobile app

In the auction description it will show the frags that you are bidding on, or it will show a picture of the mother colony and detailed description of the frag that there is not a picture of. He always states WYSIWYG if need be. On another note, I bet 99% of the people in this thread have purchased from him in the past or own one of his corals.

Were you pleased with the purchase or think you were ripped off????? I my self am very pleased with my purchases and everything that was received was spot on to the description and pictures that were posted.

That is the real question at hand here... This whole thread got thrown off about pictures

darryl_v

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As pointed out by others....I think its fine to use someone elses picture if you know it to be the same, you have permission and you state that the picture is not yours.

He may be a good guy and vendor, and Im not stating otherwise, but he didnt do any of those things. For the sake of his reputation he would be better off following those guidelines IMO.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 100 86.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back