RO Classic 150-INT vs classic SRO-2000-INT

REEF_TO_KEEP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 120g DT and 30g sum and the following fishes and corals.

1 x Tang
2 x Wrasses
1 x Anthias
4 x fire fishes
2 x grammars

Lots of LPS and some SPS (I feed the LPS 3 times a week). I consider a heavy load because I feed more than I should. I have filter socks, bio bricks, weekly 15% water change.

Please let me know which skimmer (Classic 150-INT or classic SRO-2000-INT) is suitable for the bio load.

Thanks

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RO's are good skimmers but i'm not a fan of either pumps. BB's are loud and aquatrance are hit or miss.

if you looking at that size range of skimmer then have you looked at ATB USAs elegance 150 w-sicce? pretty close to the price range. I've found that ATB is pretty darn accurate in their skimmer ratings. unlike most others
1683327357947.png

for a 120 i would look at an 8 in body if you plan to heavily stock.
here's ATBs link if your inclined to take a look. https://www.atb-usa.com/category-s/1826.htm
I've owned 3 ATB skimmers and all skimmed fantastic with no issues.

oh and ATB is the first (arguably) to develop the cone design on skimmers. there has been some debate but i believe ATB won:grimacing-face:

Last edited:

MarineandReef Jaron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with the classic. There is not a big performance benefit to the SRO skimmer and the Classic is cheaper. The biggest selling point to me on the Octopus INT skimmers is the external pump. I would never buy a skimmer with an internal pump unless I had to. The external pump is much easier to service and more future-proof. When skimmer manufacturers discontinue a pump and you have an internal pump skimmer you basically have to throw away the whole skimmer when the pump dies. When you have a skimmer with an external pump you can swap the pump out for something else and just connect it with the union.

NickGrab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would choose the SRO as the air draw will be a fair bit more with the BB/HY pump. I had a 200int on a heavily stocked, Biopellet fed 120g tank and swapped the AQ3000 pump to a HY3000, effectively converting it to an SRO3000. From my experience the increased air intake and flow rate made it skim better.

OP
OP
R

REEF_TO_KEEP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with the classic. There is not a big performance benefit to the SRO skimmer and the Classic is cheaper. The biggest selling point to me on the Octopus INT skimmers is the external pump. I would never buy a skimmer with an internal pump unless I had to. The external pump is much easier to service and more future-proof. When skimmer manufacturers discontinue a pump and you have an internal pump skimmer you basically have to throw away the whole skimmer when the pump dies. When you have a skimmer with an external pump you can swap the pump out for something else and just connect it with the union.

I heard external pump give better performance than internal skimmer? Thanks

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

REEF_TO_KEEP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would choose the SRO as the air draw will be a fair bit more with the BB/HY pump. I had a 200int on a heavily stocked, Biopellet fed 120g tank and swapped the AQ3000 pump to a HY3000, effectively converting it to an SRO3000. From my experience the increased air intake and flow rate made it skim better.
I did not know you can swap out the pump like that. SRO-2000-INT has HY2000 pump, I would love to swap to HY3000 if I upgrade to a better tank. Just a question, does it make tuning of the skimmer more difficult when strong pump installed?

Also, what does BB stand for?

NickGrab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Classic 200int is an 8" skimmer so the HY3000 pump fits perfectly, The SRO2000 is a smaller, 6" skimmer with a smaller outlet so that pump will probably be too powerful and may not even fit on. There's no adjustment with these pumps either so you couldn't turn it down and tune it. If your thinking of upgrading in the future why not just go for the SRO3000?
-and BB stands for Bubble Blaster.

OP
OP
R

REEF_TO_KEEP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Classic 200int is an 8" skimmer so the HY3000 pump fits perfectly, The SRO2000 is a smaller, 6" skimmer with a smaller outlet so that pump will probably be too powerful and may not even fit on. There's no adjustment with these pumps either so you couldn't turn it down and tune it. If your thinking of upgrading in the future why not just go for the SRO3000?
-and BB stands for Bubble Blaster.
The Classic 200int will not if my sump. I will definitely consider SRO3000 if I decided to upgrad to a bigger tank.

OP
OP
R

REEF_TO_KEEP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RO's are good skimmers but i'm not a fan of either pumps. BB's are loud and aquatrance are hit or miss.

if you looking at that size range of skimmer then have you looked at ATB USAs elegance 150 w-sicce? pretty close to the price range. I've found that ATB is pretty darn accurate in their skimmer ratings. unlike most others
1683327357947.png

here's ATBs link if your inclined to take a look. https://www.atb-usa.com/category-s/1826.htm

oh and ATB is the first (arguably) to develop the cone design on skimmers. there has been some debate but i believe ATB won:grimacing-face:
I am from Canada, I have not seen any ATB skimmer available for sale from any of the vendor. Thanks for the recommendation.

OP
OP
R

REEF_TO_KEEP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1683327357947.png

do you know if ATB 150 RS comes with DC or AC pump. Can the speed of pump can be adjusted?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back