RO/DI Advice needed

Tom2257

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, this is my first saltwater tank and I am learning thanks to everyone here. My LFS is currently charging me $35.00 for a 5 gallon bucket of RO/DI water so its time to make my own. I have a 90 gallon reef tank currently in the initial cycling stage. Has anyone heard of this model: Aquatic Life RO Buddy Plus 4 stage?
The other one I looked at was:

LiquaGen-5 stage RODI/Aquarium reef water filter system-75 GPD

Any advice/recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, this is my first saltwater tank and I am learning thanks to everyone here. My LFS is currently charging me $35.00 for a 5 gallon bucket of RO/DI water so its time to make my own. I have a 90 gallon reef tank currently in the initial cycling stage. Has anyone heard of this model: Aquatic Life RO Buddy Plus 4 stage?

$35 for 5 gallons!!? Geez my LFS only charges $1/gallon for mixed salt water, and 0.50¢/gallon for RO/DI.

My recommendation would be go with something similar to the second option that doesn't use proprietary filters.

How much water do you imagine you'll be using/making monthly?

You can get by with the RO buddy if you don't want to spend the extra money, it all comes down to how much your willing to spend and how much control you want over the unit. With the second style you can switch up filter brands/styles and add/remove additional housings as needed. With the RO buddy you could always add pre/post filters but your stuck with the filters they use.

You will hear good/bad for both sides, Ultimately the choice is yours, but my recommendation would be a standard unit that uses the 10" housings.

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquatic life also has a standard style unit that uses the 10" housings. My LFS carries that unit and the RO buddy. The standard unit is 150 and I believe the RO buddy was 90.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$35 for 5 gallons!!? Geez my LFS only charges $1/gallon for mixed salt water, and 0.50¢/gallon for RO/DI.

My recommendation would be go with something similar to the second option that doesn't use proprietary filters.

You can get by with the RO buddy if you don't want to spend the extra money, it all comes down to how much your willing to spend and how much control you want over the unit. With the second style you can switch up filter brands/styles and add/remove additional housings as needed. With the RO buddy you could always add pre/post filters but your stuck with the filters they use.

You will hear good/bad for both sides, Ultimately the choice is yours, but my recommendation would be a standard unit that uses the 10" housings.
I couldn't agree more with this.

What brand you go with doesn't matter much since it's ultimately just plastic housings that holds filters you'll replace anyway, but I would never get one that doesn't use the standard 10" filters. OP do you know what your homes water pressure is, if it's too low you would also benefit from getting a booster pump as well.
Charging $7/gallon is absolutely ridiculous when it cost them pennies to make it.

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm still in sticker shock at the $7/gallon cost for just RO/DI... At that price depending on how frequently and how much water you are buying it could pay for itself within weeks.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still in sticker shock at the $7/gallon cost for just RO/DI... At that price depending on how frequently and how much water you are buying it could pay for itself within weeks.

That seems crazy high maybe that was delivered and installed

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That seems crazy high maybe that was delivered and installed

I would hope so! I don't typically ask how much stores charge, but I guess I should start. I know what my usual store charges, and like I said it's only $1/gallon for already mixed, and even less for just RO/DI.

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

For around the same money (a few bucks less actually) you could get a 6 stage 150gpd unit from here (bottom row, 2nd from left is what I have):

Edit: My unit uses standard fittings and cartridges. You can order the filter cartridges from them directly though (I do).

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ro buddy is good but I agree about the filters. In the past 3 years I've bought 3 complete 4 stage ro buddies. The replacement cartridges cost more than the complete unit. Under 60 bucks at Chewy.com. I do replace the sediment filter more often because of my tap water quality. 7 buck I think for the last on. After about 2 months it's orange with rust.

OP
OP
Tom2257

Tom2257

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks!

OP
OP
Tom2257

Tom2257

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone. It just makes better sense to have your own RO/DI filtration system. Where I live (Bedford New York) there is only one LFS and they really have high prices. $35.00 for 5 gallons is absurd!

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone. It just makes better sense to have your own RO/DI filtration system. Where I live (Bedford New York) there is only one LFS and they really have high prices. $35.00 for 5 gallons is absurd!
I was just in a pet smart for dog food and like always I walked thru the fish department. They had "aged water" for 3 bucks a gallon. The label states its conditioned by aeration for 24 hours. Omg. Get a air pump and a stone and get rich.

Back