RO/DI Help

MermaidTail

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all- anyone have any experience with an RO/DI unit like this?

Picked it up used, and it’s not matching any of the tutorials I’m finding online. I’m confused by the black, yellow and clear tubing and wondering if you all had insight. Mostly trying to figure out the in/waste/good water line situation...

IMG_0201.JPG

IMG_0202.JPG

IMG_0203.JPG

IMG_0204.JPG

IMG_0205.JPG

Also, what sort of additives have to go into these canisters, if any? Right now, the three attached are empty. The one detached has another canister inside, with what looks like filter floss.

IMG_0206.JPG

Any help on this? Thanks!

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, here's the best I can do.....The opaque tubing is the incoming raw water. The black tubing with rinse valve is the waste water. The solid white tubing is the good water.

As far as filters, you want a sediment filter and two carbon blocks. The individual canister is for the DI resin which should have the white tubing feeding into it. HERE's an example of the three filters you need to install. You'll also need a mixed bed DI resin. Pack that canister pretty tight.

Assuming you already have the member in that top canister. If not, you'll need a new membrane matched with the restrictor...and it appears your current system has the Capillary type restrictor.

OP
OP
MermaidTail

MermaidTail

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, here's the best I can do.....The opaque tubing is the incoming raw water. The black tubing with rinse valve is the waste water. The solid white tubing is the good water.

As far as filters, you want a sediment filter and two carbon blocks. The individual canister is for the DI resin which should have the white tubing feeding into it. HERE's an example of the three filters you need to install. You'll also need a mixed bed DI resin. Pack that canister pretty tight.

Assuming you already have the member in that top canister. If not, you'll need a new membrane matched with the restrictor...and it appears your current system has the Capillary type restrictor.

You rock- that helps. Is it possible the opaque line enters the system with raw water on the third farthest right canister in the first pic? I’ve only ever see systems go left to right...

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What @redfishbluefish said.

I'm not sure why they have the two Y adapters and the valve for flushing. I'd consider swapping that out for a flow restrictor. Is there a flow restrictor on the waste line? If not, you'll want to add one. An 800ml or 500ml would be sufficient. Additionally, if there is a membrane in the housing, you may want to consider replacing it. Membranes are not designed to dry out, and drying out may damage it.

Also, the one tube going into the shutoff valve is kinked. Make sure that's replaced with a straight, unkinked piece of tubing.

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Raw water enters on the right to the first canister that has a sediment filter in it. It connects to the center canister containing a carbon block...and to the left canister containing another carbon block. Water then goes up to the membrane were you have a waste line (in you case containing a capillary restrictor, because I don't see the otherwise large restrictor.) The valve allows you to flush the membrane....I typically flush mine for about a minute when I start up the unit.

Let me see if I can find a diagram....give me a couple minutes.

OK, found this diagram. Now you don't have the storage tank and stage 5 polishing filter, but this is it, but without the flush valve.
reverse-osmosis-systems.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
MermaidTail

MermaidTail

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What @redfishbluefish said.

I'm not sure why they have the two Y adapters and the valve for flushing. I'd consider swapping that out for a flow restrictor. Is there a flow restrictor on the waste line? If not, you'll want to add one. An 800ml or 500ml would be sufficient. Additionally, if there is a membrane in the housing, you may want to consider replacing it. Membranes are not designed to dry out, and drying out may damage it.

Also, the one tube going into the shutoff valve is kinked. Make sure that's replaced with a straight, unkinked piece of tubing.

That’s confusing me, too. So here’s what’s going on on the top membrane:

IMG_0205.JPG

There is a sort of flow restricting on/off switch- in the picture it’s the white and grey turn in between the two Y adapters.

There’s a white and black line that goes into the white circular assembly piece with the four way tributary piece, the black goes into that Y adapter mess, and one white tub goes back into the canister at the first left position, the other is free, not attached to any other part of the system?

IMG_0204.JPG

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chipmunk, I'm assuming the black tube to the side of the yellow tube with valve contains a capillary restrictor. If you pull it apart, you should see it inside the tubing. It needs to be cut to the proper flow rate of good/bad water, 1/4, respectively, when change to a different membrane.
capillary flow restrictor.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
MermaidTail

MermaidTail

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Raw water enters on the right to the first canister that has a sediment filter in it. It connects to the center canister containing a carbon block...and to the left canister containing another carbon block. Water then goes up to the membrane were you have a waste line (in you case containing a capillary restrictor, because I don't see the otherwise large restrictor.) The valve allows you to flush the membrane....I typically flush mine for about a minute when I start up the unit.

Let me see if I can find a diagram....give me a couple minutes.

OK, found this diagram. Now you don't have the storage tank and stage 5 polishing filter, but this is it, but without the flush valve.
reverse-osmosis-systems.jpg

Oh wow! This helps a lot! THANK YOU!!!

Back