RO/DI or RO System?

Zakery Murray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was recently at my local lfs store and they had some ro and rodi units for sale and seeing how I always bought ro water from them which was costing me more than owning my own system in the long run I decided to buy my own. Now here is the issue do I get an ro or ro/di system, the person who was working suggested an ro system not an rodi system. This puzzled me considering everyone seems to have an ro/di system not an ro system, so why was I recommended a normal ro system not the rodi system? Can someone tell me what the main difference is and whether I should get an ro or ro/di system? What system should I also get, they have spectrapure systems are those any good?

Gernader

Reefing is a never-ending addiction...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I wouldn‘t go to that LFS anymore… RO/DI is the best system for filtering water since it has a DI filter which completely removes all kinds of minerals. A RO system is mainly used for drinking, but it’s not good for our tanks as they still have some minerals.

Spectrapure is a good brand, but they are kinda pricey compared to other brands. You can also check out BRS or Marine Depot (they have great deals going on right now).

Jbell370

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was recently at my local lfs store and they had some ro and rodi units for sale and seeing how I always bought ro water from them which was costing me more than owning my own system in the long run I decided to buy my own. Now here is the issue do I get an ro or ro/di system, the person who was working suggested an ro system not an rodi system. This puzzled me considering everyone seems to have an ro/di system not an ro system, so why was I recommended a normal ro system not the rodi system? Can someone tell me what the main difference is and whether I should get an ro or ro/di system? What system should I also get, they have spectrapure systems are those any good?
Spectra systems are good, I personally have not had a bad ro/di system period. I would get an ro/di system, you want 0 TDS. Also get the largest system you can, I had a 90gpd and went with a 200gpd this time, huge difference for the better.

shadow1013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I’m a little worried if you got just RO water from your LFS. I’d double check with them. You will want RODI. You want to make sure your water has 0 TDS going into your tank. RO can only get down 90% of your incoming TDS reading.

I will always push AquaFX RODI units as they are a great brand and are local to me. You will also want dual DI canisters at a minimum because the DI can deplete before the color fully changes so if there is any TDS spill it will be caught by the next DI canister. When you need to replace the depleted one you take the last DI canister and move it down one and refill the spent one and place it at the end.

OP
OP
Zakery Murray

Zakery Murray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn‘t go to that LFS anymore… RO/DI is the best system for filtering water since it has a DI filter which completely removes all kinds of minerals. A RO system is mainly used for drinking, but it’s not good for our tanks as they still have some minerals.

Spectrapure is a good brand, but they are kinda pricey compared to other brands. You can also check out BRS or Marine Depot (they have great deals going on right now).
Can you make a suggestion out of the ones they still have for sale at marine depot to get, link it please?

Gernader

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Can you make a suggestion out of the ones they still have for sale at marine depot to get, link it please?
Sure. Here you go! I noticed most rodi units are out of stock, so here are some that are still available.

The link below doesn’t have a TDS Meter or a pressure gauge, but it can still make water. I recommend you to buy a separate tds meter for it.

This one is also a good unit and it comes with everything you need including the tds meter, flush kit, etc. at $149 instead of $249

OP
OP
Zakery Murray

Zakery Murray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure. Here you go! I noticed most rodi units are out of stock, so here are some that are still available.
The link below doesn’t have a TDS Meter or a pressure gauge, but it can still make water. I recommend you to buy a separate tds meter for it.

This one is also a good unit and it comes with everything you need including the tds meter, flush kit, etc. at $149 instead of $249
Any chance you can explain further into the tds meter, and the flush kit? Does the tds automatically measure it when pumping, also what’s a flush kit? Sorry never had an rodi unit before always bought my own water from lfs.

Gernader

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Any chance you can explain further into the tds meter, and the flush kit? Does the tds automatically measure it when pumping, also what’s a flush kit? Sorry never had an rodi unit before always bought my own water from lfs.
So if the tds meter is installed where the water is passed through all filters, it lets you know if you have any minerals in the product water which you shouldn‘t. If it says “0 TDS”, you are good to go. If it says more than 1 TDS, that means you need to replace the filters to go back to 0 TDS. (TDS stands for total dissolved solids)

A flush valve is for removing any built up mineral deposits from your membrane, so there will be less issues. You have to do it manually by turning on the flush valve on for a few minutes, then close it every some time. There are plenty of YouTube videos to learn how to use a rodi unit!

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems pretty transparent: Your LFS had a boat-load of leftover RO units they wanted to move, $ooooooo they told you they were “better” than RO/DI.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back