Ro/di unit

snakemau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I been looking at ro/di units. Here in TX we got hard water (12-14 units) so I have a water softener but no carbon filter, which I can put one in. But I know that BRS sells this
5 stage unit, 75 gpd

And the place where I got my water softener has this one:

they both 5 stages, but the AFW produces 100 gpd and it’s cheaper but has no digital TDS reader, so what do you guys think about this? Which one will be better? Oh just in case I have a 25 gal saltwater tank only, and a 55 freshwater (which I have been just using the water from the faucet that had been treated with the water softener for the 55 gal tank), so suggestions?

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I been looking at ro/di units. Here in TX we got hard water (12-14 units) so I have a water softener but no carbon filter, which I can put one in. But I know that BRS sells this
5 stage unit, 75 gpd

And the place where I got my water softener has this one:

they both 5 stages, but the AFW produces 100 gpd and it’s cheaper but has no digital TDS reader, so what do you guys think about this? Which one will be better? Oh just in case I have a 25 gal saltwater tank only, and a 55 freshwater (which I have been just using the water from the faucet that had been treated with the water softener for the 55 gal tank), so suggestions?
Add the price of a handheld tds meter to the cheaper unit and you will know if it is still cheaper. If so I would go cheaper.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both basically the same unit, with the one from AFW having a second DI chamber. They tout 100GPD, but it's more then likely a DOW Filmtech 75GPD membrane that they are over driving.

Add in what the cheaper unit doesn't have, and they are about the same.

ariellemermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was shopping for RODI I found liquagen on Amazon but actually found lower prices directly on their website. Many of their options are cheaper than both of these. This is the model I went with for $180 which includes a drinking water stage, reservoir, and faucet but they have lots of other options depending on your needs. I’m really glad I did this because IMO and in the opinion of all the blind taste testing guests that come to my house, the drinking water stage tastes amazing and beats most different bottled waters tested. I love the fact that it’s useful to my daily life for great tasting water, not just for my fish tank. I have one upstairs and downstairs now.

You can always add in-line TDS meters later if desired. For a while (all depending on the quality of input water), IMO spot testing output water is sufficient. Eventually you might want continuous monitoring as the membrane and media ages, but in the mean time a cheap TDS pen meter from Amazon should be sufficient. That’s my philosophy anyway. These systems from all brands are modular; you can always add a second membrane, second DI stage, whatever floats your boat and meets your needs.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back