RO system newbie

IrishReefer234

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I got an RO system and just hooked it up to my tap out the back of my house. How long should I let it run before testing the water? I tested straight away and got a TDS of 48.

I got the unit just before Covid and only getting around to hooking it up now. Will I need to change it?
Thanks

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always heard 5g of wastewater. No idea if that is accurate. I usually test the TDS coming out and run until it is mid single digits (I have very high incoming TDS so that is about as good as I get). Usually within 20 minutes.

If the membrane was kept sealed in its package it should be fine waiting a year to use it. If you removed from package and it dried out then there is a good chance it may have damaged the performance.

OP
OP
I

IrishReefer234

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always heard 5g of wastewater. No idea if that is accurate. I usually test the TDS coming out and run until it is mid single digits (I have very high incoming TDS so that is about as good as I get). Usually within 20 minutes.

If the membrane was kept sealed in its package it should be fine waiting a year to use it. If you removed from package and it dried out then there is a good chance it may have damaged the performance.
Should the TDS not be @0? Does the single digit TDS hurt or tank/ when mixing salt? The membrane was in the packet until about Friday evening when I set up the RO system. Only getting to run it now

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The output from RO will usually be low single digits. It depends largely on the incoming TDS and the specific membrane you have. It would rarely actually be 0. That is what the DI is for is to get that last little bit.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back