Road trip question...packing fish/coral

Joshua Jordan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello...

I live in NW Arkansas abs am going to the Dallas-Fort Worth area the first week of April.

It is about a 5 hour drive. I am planning on visiting several LFS while I am down there. I was wondering if 5 hours is too long of time to keep the fish/coral in the bags that the stores pack them in? If not, what sort of precautions/preparations do I need to transport livestock for a 5 hour drive?

Thanks so much,

Josh

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I typically travel 5 hours to the LFS. I always tell them I have a 5 hour drive home and, typically the LFS will double bag them and add extra air and water. Just make sure you tell them.

I also travel with a styrofoam cooler, and heat pack/cold packs depending on the time of year.

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be fine with a 5 hour transport, make sure they leave air gap in fish bags before tying them and a good idea to take a insulated cooler bag or similar to carry them in to keep temps stable.

coralreefexotics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral should be fine just ask for oxygen with the fish and keep the temperature good.

James Hopkins

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually bring a cooler and fill it 1/4 with water and add a heater.
Than any fish or coral i get i put in a fish bag and float it in the water in the cooler. IMO thats the best for long trips.

BGrand

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just flew last weekend to SF from Indiana. Bought two coral in Sunnyvale, CA on Friday. Put the coral in a glass bowl at the corporate apartment Friday. I asked the LFS for an extra bag of fresh saltwater. Sunday morning before flying out I double bagged each coral in the fresh salt water (water-change). I carried them on the plane in my backpack. My flight home got diverted and delayed and then flights in Chicago got cancelled so I drove home. 24 hours after bagging them and carrying them around in my backpack I got them in my tank and they are doing great. 5 hours should be a piece of cake just make sure there is plenty of air, double bag them, and that the temperature stays good.

Dlamont01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had corals last 26 hours on a drive home from Orlando Florida to northern Indiana. Had them packed in a cooler and had a heat pack just in case. Two weeks later and everything is still alive and doing well.

Tennsquire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I travel frequently for work and make a habit of visiting local LFS' to see what they have. I take insulated thermoses with me (the ones with the wide mouths and screw on lids). When I acquire a frag or two, I have the bags cut down to fit the thermos, then put a frag in each bag with water then place them in the thermos. They maintain temperature for hours and would easily handle your 5 hour journey.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 32.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back