Robo tank possible build

lstmysock11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

Wanting to look into a Robo tank build. Already getting stuff with Reef pi and Rasbery pi to control my LED lights. But want to use robo tank to control my return pump, Run my Ato, Keep track of PH and temp. Maybe even monitor flow and control power heads. Would also want to add a little screen to keep a eye on everything at a quick glance.

Had looked at Neptune Apex but they are so expensive and at this point one would cost more then my entire tank. Considering for a 75 gallon tank, Stand, canopy and 20 gallon sump I got for 150 dollors US.

Andrew

OP
OP
L

lstmysock11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question is what would I need to do this? I know the robo tank and another rasbery pi with sd card.

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question is what would I need to do this? I know the robo tank and another rasbery pi with sd card.
Hi Andrew, the ATO, pH and temp won't be a problem, you would need sensors and preferably DC pump for ATO, DS18B20 temp sensors and any pH probe with a BNC connector.

Reef-pi doesn't directly support flow meters but in a day or two I'll be posting a script to work with them, they connect easy just need a little setup on software side.

Power heads you can possibly connect depending on the type but you'll have limited control as reef-pi doesn't have a set of features specifically for them. If they have 0-10v control you can use light timers to ramp them up and down during the day, if you get creative with light schedules you can probably do some neat things.

LED's is also hard to answer, depends on the light and most need to be hacked in some way as they all want to sell their controllers. If you have something specific I can see what I can find.

OP
OP
L

lstmysock11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Andrew, the ATO, pH and temp won't be a problem, you would need sensors and preferably DC pump for ATO, DS18B20 temp sensors and any pH probe with a BNC connector.

Reef-pi doesn't directly support flow meters but in a day or two I'll be posting a script to work with them, they connect easy just need a little setup on software side.

Power heads you can possibly connect depending on the type but you'll have limited control as reef-pi doesn't have a set of features specifically for them. If they have 0-10v control you can use light timers to ramp them up and down during the day, if you get creative with light schedules you can probably do some neat things.

LED's is also hard to answer, depends on the light and most need to be hacked in some way as they all want to sell their controllers. If you have something specific I can see what I can find.
As far as the Leds would be for .

@GaryE is coming up with directions on how to use Rasebery PI and reef PI to control them, He has already done it himself. Do you know any power heads that are possible to control?

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

@GaryE is coming up with directions on how to use Rasebery PI and reef PI to control them, He has already done it himself. Do you know any power heads that are possible to control?

As per powerhead on the cheap end jaebo ws series has 0-10v control on the side. I think all the new ones have it too. I haven’t tried it yet but in the making...

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Not to jack the thread, but flow meters would be awesome! (for UV use especially).

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yeah @GaryE posted some pics on the main reef-pi thread.

I have a couple Jebao WP-10's that I've run off an Arduino, if I remember correctly they are 0-5v PWM.

On the higher end Octo Pulse have 0-10v input as well.

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have a couple Jebao WP-10's that I've run off an Arduino, if I remember correctly they are 0-5v PWM.

Jabao is 0-10v. I have checked mine it is not printed on mine and the documentation is not by hand but on the net I have found this.

Attachments

• 926B225A-F3A8-4013-A74E-FA3B74DA7A85.jpeg
    926B225A-F3A8-4013-A74E-FA3B74DA7A85.jpeg
    110 KB · Views: 51
OP
OP
L

lstmysock11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I emailed the company to ask if they can be controled by reef pi with the 0-10v connection.

Also managed to get a rasbery pi 3 today and got reef pi installed on it!

OP
OP
L

lstmysock11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Is there an alternative to the Jebao wp-10's, They do not seem to be sold much of any place any more. Guessing they are not being made any longer. I really do not want to go with the expensive ones that go for 200 or more each.

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there an alternative to the Jebao wp-10's, They do not seem to be sold much of any place any more. Guessing they are not being made any longer. I really do not want to go with the expensive ones that go for 200 or more each.
I guess that's likely, it's many years since I bought them. Did you ever hear back from them?

Looking at the TW-10 the controller is the same as what I have for the wp-10 so maybe they just changed model to look like an update. I notice the larger TW pumps have different controllers but probably same. As I don't know first hand it's your call. I'm going to do some more searching for verification.

This is how I connect, first I bought some cheap 3 pin connectors on eBay but they didn't fit, pins had slightly different spacing so I removed the pig tail going into the controller and added a 5.5mm power socket so I didn't have to cut the connector on the pump but that is an option.

Blue is ground, brown is +24v and green is signal. The red tail is to connect common ground to controller, yeah not best color choice. I plug the green connector in controller, 24v power supply from pump into power socket and plug in the pump. You should verify the output on each pin though using a volt meter as good chance they use different color wires on batches.

CAM02308-optimized.jpg

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rw series are good replacement and available on Ali or Amazon

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a while so I did some testing on original Jebao controller, the one I have, WP-10, is 2.5v - 5v, the controller never goes lower than 2.5v or higher that 5v. The signal definitely isn't PWM so 0-5v analog is best although no difference is observed with either. I connected to controller and once I go below 50% in reef-pi the pump does sound like it's working harder and it stops about 15% or so but won't start until 30% or so. Due to that you wouldn't want to go below 50%. With the pump out of water I couldn't really feel any difference between 50-100% but in water it's a major difference. Pump hangs straight at 50%, 75% it goes to top of water and 100% it's bouncing all over.

You can verify 0-5v or 0-10v with any volt meter, set the controller on high and measure the signal and ground pin.

OP
OP
L

lstmysock11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess that's likely, it's many years since I bought them. Did you ever hear back from them?

Looking at the TW-10 the controller is the same as what I have for the wp-10 so maybe they just changed model to look like an update. I notice the larger TW pumps have different controllers but probably same. As I don't know first hand it's your call. I'm going to do some more searching for verification.

This is how I connect, first I bought some cheap 3 pin connectors on eBay but they didn't fit, pins had slightly different spacing so I removed the pig tail going into the controller and added a 5.5mm power socket so I didn't have to cut the connector on the pump but that is an option.

Blue is ground, brown is +24v and green is signal. The red tail is to connect common ground to controller, yeah not best color choice. I plug the green connector in controller, 24v power supply from pump into power socket and plug in the pump. You should verify the output on each pin though using a volt meter as good chance they use different color wires on batches.

CAM02308-optimized.jpg

Still not sure how I would connect this to the robo tank. Maybe you can go into more detail?

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still not sure how I would connect this to the robo tank. Maybe you can go into more detail?
If you remove the tail from the controller like I did you'll have 3 wires, +24v, ground and signal.

The +24v and ground go to the 24v power supply that comes with the power head and the ground also connects to a ground pin on controller. Then you run signal wire to any of the PWM/Analog ports. That puts two wires on controller, ground and signal. The power supply is only for the power head as it normally is.

The difficult part is you need to remove the connector tail from Jebao controller or cut the connector off the pump but that's not ideal.

OP
OP
L

lstmysock11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So need to splice into the signal wire and run that to the robotank pwm/analog port and the ground wire? Unless I am understanding this wrong.

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So need to splice into the signal wire and run that to the robotank pwm/analog port and the ground wire? Unless I am understanding this wrong.
Yeah that's right, for ground there's a 2 pin port available or any sensor port ground will work.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%

Back