Robo-Tank Reef Pi Based DIY Controller Build Thread

Rogued_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey There Reefers!!

I’m making this thread with multiple purposes. The first purpose of this thread is for me to document the evolution of my diy controller, the second purpose is to bring awareness to all the fellow DIYers out there about this awesome product, and third because I think @robsworld78 has done an incredible job making the hardware necessary to simplify the use of reef pi. Also shoutout to @Ranjib and all other contributors that have made reef pi possible and FREE.

The thread will be updated with pictures, videos and multiple write ups along the way. So far I have it up and running monitoring my temps and controlling the refugium light (yes next post will be about setting it up and having those 2 things running)

Happy Reefing.

OP
OP
Rogued_Reefer

Rogued_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I haven’t updated this thread! I will be doing so very soon. It has been hectic and had to work out some kinks that take time to make sure they’re working properly.

OP
OP
Rogued_Reefer

Rogued_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello there fellow Reefers/DIYers!!!!

I hope you guys didn’t think I gave up on this build hahah. Life has been hectic and it took time to work out some kinks but now it all seems to be working just fine.

The Robo-Tank is currently performing 3 things:

1 - It’s turning On/Off my T5s 3pm-7pm.
2 - Monitoring Temperature.
3 - Monitoring PH.

so far it’s doing fantastic and I can’t thank @robsworld78 for the technical support In what seemed to be defective temp sensors.

Next step will likely be setting up the ATOs with multiple safety switches and might venture into dosing pumps.

below is pics of the temp and PH (yes I know my ph is low currently working on fixing that).

6D0301FA-C4E0-49DD-8E02-DF9B5EEB9491.png

OP
OP
Rogued_Reefer

Rogued_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anyone has any ideas for the dosing portion of the build I’d gladly listen/read them since I’m just in the thought/design process. I’ll need 1 doser for now to dose Kalkwasser but eventually will need at least 3 headers because once consumption takes off I’ll be doing kalk and 2-part like I’ve done in previous builds.

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anyone has any ideas for the dosing portion of the build I’d gladly listen/read them since I’m just in the thought/design process. I’ll need 1 doser for now to dose Kalkwasser but eventually will need at least 3 headers because once consumption takes off I’ll be doing kalk and 2-part like I’ve done in previous builds.
You can connect 12v pumps directly to DC ports and still be able to control the speed, it's definitely the easiest way.

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was debating between basic 12v pumps plugged to the DC ports or doser heads for a more precise dosage.
I just did some tests with cheap 12v pumps, here's the results. Going to make a 30 second clip I think so one can judge better.

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that'll work ok. The biggest complaint I hear is people want to slow it down more than it'll go, I think you need stepper type for that. Here's a video showing one running similar to that.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 35.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 30 27.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.6%
Back