OP
feh

feh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've decided to definitely go with a Reef Savvy tank. Just a matter of waiting on the quote and getting things rolling once I receive it. Just too many reasons to not let them build it.

OP
OP
feh

feh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking on skimmers... I'm looking at getting either a Skimz SM 121 Monzter or a SWC 120. Anyone used either of these?

cparka23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Warner Marine skimmer that is essentially the SM121. I like that the outlet and the air intake are independently adjustable, because it allows for a lot of control over waste consistency. Unfortunately, the pump has a very audible hum to it, which I suspect is pretty standard for most sub-$400 skimmers. If my stand didn't have a door, I wouldn't run the skimmer while watching tv. Overall, it performs quite well, but the sound may be a dealbreaker for some.

OP
OP
feh

feh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Warner Marine skimmer that is essentially the SM121. I like that the outlet and the air intake are independently adjustable, because it allows for a lot of control over waste consistency. Unfortunately, the pump has a very audible hum to it, which I suspect is pretty standard for most sub-$400 skimmers. If my stand didn't have a door, I wouldn't run the skimmer while watching tv. Overall, it performs quite well, but the sound may be a dealbreaker for some.

I'll have to look at footprint. Its very important with this build. I know Warner makes good stuff though. Its just matter of the footprint. Thanks for input.

Camkha1234

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard some really good things about the Cadlights PLS-100 skimmer. It only has a 4.5" x 4.5" footprint. It's what I'll be putting on my cube.

Zoacoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll have to look at footprint. Its very important with this build. I know Warner makes good stuff though. Its just matter of the footprint. Thanks for input.

Whats the footprint your after? Aquamaxx makes excellent skimmers, and I'd say there a bit better then the SWC. I don't own a aquamaxx skimmer but I have owned skimmers that have the same pump as it and i was impressed. I am thinking of downgrading and going to a 28 x 24 x 18" tall tank 50 or so gallons, and I will be buying the coneS co1 for the build.

They have a aqumaxx coneS co1- Footprint: 6.3" x 8.7”
Height: 19.7”

Zoacoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Whats the footprint your after? Aquamaxx makes excellent skimmers, and I'd say there a bit better then the SWC. I don't own a aquamaxx skimmer but I have owned skimmers that have the same pump as it and i was impressed. I am thinking of downgrading and going to a 28 x 24 x 18" tall tank 50 or so gallons, and I will be buying the coneS co1 for the build.

They have a aqumaxx coneS co1- Footprint: 6.3" x 8.7”
Height: 19.7”

Its $256 at marinedepot, but they have a 15% off coupon right now so you can get it even cheaper. Around $220 shipped. Great deal.

Last edited:
OP
OP
feh

feh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

They have a aqumaxx coneS co1- Footprint: 6.3" x 8.7â€
Height: 19.7â€

Its $256 at marinedepot, but they have a 15% off coupon right now so you can get it even cheaper. Around $220 shipped. Great deal.

I'm still shopping around for a skimmer. Minus the space for the filter sock I should have 11.7 (plus/minus) x 10.5 inches to work with so 11.7 minus 4 -5 inches. I'll find out for sure once I hear back from the sump builder. Height isn't a real issue. The stand I built is 30" high with 26" inside height to work with. The smaller the footprint the better, but I don't want to deal with any performance issues. I'm not so sure about the Atman pumps. I've read mixed reviews on the SWC because of the pump. I'm actually leaning more towards a Skimz 121. I'm not sure on the bioload yet either. I know I will be transferring my clowns and yellow watchman goby, but not sure on what I will add to the mix. I'm highly considering a firefish of some sort or a mated pair.

Camkha1234 - I'm not familiar with the Cadlights PLS-100 skimmer. I'll have to look into it and see what I can dig up on reviews.

OP
OP
feh

feh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stand is coming along. Need to order doors and trim. Pics coming soon... Definitely going with two tone. Golden oak on doors and top trim around bottom of tank will be walnut. still thinking on cleanest way to mount hardware and still need to cut vents for rear of stand. Still waiting on quote from Reef Savvy. Guess they're pretty busy but would like to gets in motion on that next month.

OP
OP
feh

feh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:
I'm still tossing around skimmer ideas, but right now thinking of going with either sea side aquatics nac3.5 or es5. They are basically bm clones that come with sicce sk pumps which imo is an improvement.

I've finally decided on the trim and will be ordering soon. Still no response from Reef Savvy on a quote. I'm sure they're busy with sending quotes and such after attending two shows. I'd really like to get things going with them around Nov 15th but we'll see.

Still shopping around for cabinet doors, but plan to decide on this soon now that I have the trim picked out. The inside of the cabinet is painted and caulked and once I have the trim installed I'll get some new pics and start sanding and prepping for finishing while the doors are being built.

Sump build is progressing along nicely and excited to see the final product. Still looking at media reactor options since I'm limited on space. Decided to go with two Eheim 75 watt heaters and haven't alot of time to make final decision on return pump. I have a few options since return section will be around 5x10.5 if i remember correctly. Will have to look at drawing again.

OP
OP
feh

feh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could use some help. I'm still looking at skimmers and really having a hard time choosing this time around. Here's is the current drawing for my sump. Nothing has been cut yet, but this is a top down dimensional drawing. As you can see I have a very small skimmer compartment. 12.25 x 10.5 inches and really don't want to toss the filter sock. I like the dimensions right now, but need a good skimmer that will fit with the flow of the sump.

I'm highly considering the Sea Side Aquatics ES5. This is going under a 50 gallon (24x24x20) cube. This skimmer is pretty much a BM Curve5 with a Sicce pump. Here is my problem. The skimmer footprint is 7.28″ x 7.08″. At first I asked to have the design flipped from left to right because I was considering a 60 gallon Deep Blue cube. So originally everything was flowing with the skimmer box on the left. Any looking at the way things are with the skimmer I could turn it around with the intake facing the back of the sump and squeeze in the extra 3/4" or so space to fit in there, but I'm wondering how much flow this is going to block between the filter sock and skimmer. Also this makes heater placement in the same compartment a possible issue unless I mount them vertical. The Eheim Jager 75 is 10.2" total the min water line from tip of the glass tube is 8.5" I do intend to run 2 heaters for redundancy. The sump is 14" tall and I was planning to use a 8.5" water depth.

My options:

1: Flip things back around which I'm not really wanting to inconvenience the builder and still go with the same placement with the skimmer and run the water depth at 9" to allow some extra room for evap / ATO refill without killing the heaters running below min water line with them mounted vertically.

2. Keep the sump the way it is as far as layout without flipping it back around, still use 8.5" water depth, and mount heaters horizonal but high enough not to interfere with skimmer intake and find a way to squeeze another 3/4" inch or so in with the skimmer facing the front of the sump where there won't be as much flow getting blocked.

3. Go with a skimmer with a smaller footprint. Still not sure where to go on that but have been looking at other options.

Maybe there are some other options such as putting heaters in the fuge, but could really use some advice. Also the sump will be euro braced which I don't mind. It is being built with 1/4" acrylic.

Screenshot_1-1.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
feh

feh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:
Received a quote and invoice from Reef Savvy today. Glad to get things going with the tank itself. Ordered trim for the stand Saturday and should be receiving that this week sometime. Still thinking on door options, but have it narrowed down to 2 styles I like. Also worked out sump details and have decided to go with the SSA ES5 skimmer with some modifications to the sump. Planning to go with Eheim Jager 75 watt heaters for redundancy. Still looking at return pumps and thinking about fuge lighting. I'd really like to go with something low profile for a fuge light.

Last edited:
OP
OP
feh

feh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my trim today. Weather and energy permitting (rough work week) I'll be getting started on trimming the stand out this weekend.

photo-2.jpg

OP
OP
feh

feh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would a 14" x 8" vent be enough for venting the inside of the stand if I choose to do it without fans? I don't want any condensation issues.

OP
OP
feh

feh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

sqcube4me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what kind of wood did you skin it with ? im building my 36x36 cube stand right now and i cant figure out if i want to do pine oak or birch

OP
OP
feh

feh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was putting my phone away in the bedroom a few minutes ago and guess who I saw peeking at me like a curious little kid as if he was thinking "What ya doing in there?" My bedroom is behind the wall where my current tank sits. Little guy was peeking at me through the space between the door and the wall leaning to one side perched on the rock.

peekaboo.jpg

OP
OP
feh

feh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little too blue for me to see anything for me. What was it?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Sorry, the pic is very blue... iPhone pic with actinics on. My Yellow Watchman goby... in the center of the pic. I didn't realize was so hard to see until after I posted the pic.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back