Rob's Fluval Evo 13.5 build

rjmrjm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

I've just started my first marine tank (water added 08/04/19). The tank is a fluval evo 13.5, I'm planning on keeping the stock lighting as this tank is more of a test for me to see how successful I can be with a reef tank before potentially (in the distant future) moving on to a bigger tank with more expensive gear.

I have gone for an intank media chamber in the first chamber (running - filter floss, stock carbon, filter floss and then stock bio media).

The second chamber is currently empty (I have blocked the hole between the DT and this chamber to increase filtration efficiency). I have the second intank basket on order which I may use either for more bio media or perhaps a small fuge. If anyone has any suggestions for this chamber I'd love to hear about them.

The third chamber has the stock pump and a superfish nano 100w heater. I may look at upgrading the return pump but at the moment I have a hydor koralia nano 900 powerhead in the DT providing some extra flow from the other side of the tank.

I am using Caribsea live rock and paleosand (fine), my substrate layer is a little thick - this is to potentially allow for a smaller shrimp goby pair in the future.

So far my tank has not showed any signs of going through the "cycle", other than a reading of nitrates somewhere between 2 and 5 (all of my test kits are red sea).

I am using seed as a bacteria additive and have been ghost feeding. I have just ordered some liquid ammonia since that seems a more "scientific" and accurate test of the progress of the bacteria in the tank.

Water parameters are:
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - between 2-5
pH - 8.0
Alkalinity - 8
Salinity - 1.024
Temperature - 26.0

I have carried out one large water change (25 litre). My salinity and pH were slightly lower 1.022 and 7.6-7.8, I believe this was due to the fact that I did not allow my sand and rock to fully dry out after pre rinsing it in tap water...silly mistake.

If anybody has any suggestions or advice regarding the tank, equipment or reefing in general I am always grateful for other people's insights. Conversely if anybody has any questions about the tank I will do my best to answer with my limited knowledge [emoji1].

20190414_061153.jpeg
20190414_061211.jpeg

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R.

Nice set up. I am not super familiar with your set up. A Fuge set up is always go to grow some macro algea and pods, etc.

Sounds like you are working on your cycle. Your post says 8/4/19 - I assume April 4/when you started so you should see progress soon depending on your method

#WelcometoR2R

upload_2019-3-24_10-45-22.gif

OP
OP
rjmrjm

rjmrjm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R.

Nice set up. I am not super familiar with your set up. A Fuge set up is always go to grow some macro algea and pods, etc.

Sounds like you are working on your cycle. Your post says 8/4/19 - I assume April 4/when you started so you should see progress soon depending on your method

#WelcometoR2R

upload_2019-3-24_10-45-22.gif
Thank you. It's not a huge chamber so I think nutrient export would be minimal but it would be nice to have a breeding ground for copepods.

Yes 8th April was when the water went in. I've been ghost feeding but I have some liquid ammonia on order so hopefully that will let me track progress a bit better.

btmedic04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! You may want to get some 1/4" plastic mesh to wrap the top and side closest to chamber 3 on the center intank basket if you go the refugium route. I didnt do that and had chaeto plugging up my return pump on my nuvo 10 shortly after.

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R. I like that setup. Is the back of the chambers clear or blacked out? Basically can you see through to the media baskets? If so I would use the spare chamber to grow chato or another form of microalgae. A small 10 watt light will be more then enough to light it up and make it thrive.

OP
OP
rjmrjm

rjmrjm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! You may want to get some 1/4" plastic mesh to wrap the top and side closest to chamber 3 on the center intank basket if you go the refugium route. I didnt do that and had chaeto plugging up my return pump on my nuvo 10 shortly after.
Great tip, thank you for the advice!

OP
OP
rjmrjm

rjmrjm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R. I like that setup. Is the back of the chambers clear or blacked out? Basically can you see through to the media baskets? If so I would use the spare chamber to grow chato or another form of microalgae. A small 10 watt light will be more then enough to light it up and make it thrive.
Thanks for the welcome. The DT is seperated from the chambers with black plastic but to the rear it is just glass. It definetly seems like a fuge is the way to go. Thanks for the advice - good to know a 10 watt light should be enough to grow some chaeto!

SynGraves

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like that rock scape. Cant really over do the rock unless you literally fill the tank with rocks. More rock + more biological filtration.

Keep ghost feeding and you should see the cycle ramp up quickly. My 10g nano cycled in less than 2 weeks. After the first cycle add live stock slowly so the bacteria load can adjust to the added bioload.

OP
OP
rjmrjm

rjmrjm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like that rock scape. Cant really over do the rock unless you literally fill the tank with rocks. More rock + more biological filtration.

Keep ghost feeding and you should see the cycle ramp up quickly. My 10g nano cycled in less than 2 weeks. After the first cycle add live stock slowly so the bacteria load can adjust to the added bioload.
Thanks. I switched onto the dr.timms ammonia solution and dosed up to 2ppm. It hasn't really dropped very much in 48 hours, so definetly not cycled yet.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice scape, I run one of these, have a look at ornamental macro algae, mine runs with no filtration but I wouldn't say it is the way to go until you understand how it all works, good luck. :)

OP
OP
rjmrjm

rjmrjm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice scape, I run one of these, have a look at ornamental macro algae, mine runs with no filtration but I wouldn't say it is the way to go until you understand how it all works, good luck. :)
Thank you, I'll have to have a look at your build if you have one. It's always good to see what other people have done with their tanks [emoji1]

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 186 72.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 6.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 47 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back