Rock anemone

alexytman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought some clownfish for a GREAT PRICE and the owner sold me a rock anemone for cheap. I know rock anemone does not host but I love it's color and is only for looks. But I was wondering whether inverts such as blood shrimp and pompom crab will just walk into it and die ? Also will rock anemone eat my clowns?

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought some clownfish for a GREAT PRICE and the owner sold me a rock anemone for cheap. I know rock anemone does not host but I love it's color and is only for looks. But I was wondering whether inverts such as blood shrimp and pompom crab will just walk into it and die ? Also will rock anemone eat my clowns?
I'm assuming this is a rock flower anemone, they're relatively harmless and do really well in reef Aquariums. The only thing mine have ever tried to eat is hermit crabs but the crabs usually crawl out in time. It will readily consume pellets, mysis shrimp, and anything else that it catches in it's tentacles. They don't really have a sting that you will be able to feel, but they are very sticky (touch it with the end of a finger sometime to get an idea about how sticky they are)

A clownfish would be too fast for it to catch unless it is a baby clownfish, same goes with most other fish. I would be concerned with something like a Neon goby or any other small fish that likes to perch on the rocks.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with @nautical_nathaniel . I have five and they have never eaten any living thing in my tank. They have eaten several shrimp molts. They are pretty easy to care for, don't move around much or sting corals and are fun as heck to feed/keep. They also readily reproduce in a lot of people's tanks (unless you are unlucky enough to have all males).

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 62 32.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 50 26.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 40 20.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 38 19.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back