Rock directly from the Ocean?

Aaron75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so Live Rock is the preferred rock, we can basically all agree on that. Typically we buy live rock from a website or LFS. Can you just go take rock from the ocean and add it to your tank? Should that ocean rock be from a warm water ocean or does it matter?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so Live Rock is the preferred rock, we can basically all agree on that. Typically we buy live rock from a website or LFS. Can you just go take rock from the ocean and add it to your tank? Should that ocean rock be from a warm water ocean or does it matter?
You will want to know what the legal situations for your country is first. If you are allowed to take things from the ocean and it is a warm water sea you’re taking said rock from then yes you will be able to do it.
You will want the rock to be from a Warm Water Ocean if it is a Tropical Marine Tank. If it’s a Coldwater Marine Tank then you’ll want to take the rock from a cold water sea. The reason for this is to do with the nitrifying bacteria needed being different.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bacteria wise it shouldn’t matter and some small macros and inverts may go either way. But there may be certain things that will not, then you will have die off. That being said, I do have temperate rocks in my tropicals. The coraline, micro brittles, and pods and others do not seem to care.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back