Rock Flower Anemone

shakacuz

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Really, Ive been trying to get it to stick ever since Saturday.
the flow or light could not be enough for it. let it do its thing, but keep an eye on it until it finds its spot.

yesterday, i bought another RFA and placed it in a spot i wanted it in. i look away for 1 minute and it was on the other side of the tank. it attached to another spot and kind of held it there or about a minute or two, it managed to stay there.

OP
OP
hawk82

hawk82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its not really moving around the tank, just kinda blowing around in one spot. Like I said a crab kept messing with it, and dragging it around looking for food under it.

shakacuz

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Its not really moving around the tank, just kinda blowing around in one spot. Like I said a crab kept messing with it, and dragging it around looking for food under it.

keep an eye on it. If it is just "blowing around" - the flow might be a bit strong. it is normal for the crabs to step on it or be under it.

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If possible, find a sheltered side of a rock to put it on, where it isn't hit by direct flow. They really don't handle flow very well.

Rubber Ducky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get a clear little plastic cup and drill some holes in it and put it upside down and trap the RFa where you want it to go, worked for me on a couple...I also turned off wave makers for about 30 min to let them settle in so they don't blow around...oh, and Id use gloves to handle them as to not bother the corals

OP
OP
hawk82

hawk82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thing is still not sticking. Should it be on the sand near the rock, or should I put it down in a crack within the rock itself? I came back to look and another hermit had dragged it off, the top side tentacles of it was sticking to the hermits shell and it was dragging it around.

shakacuz

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Thing is still not sticking. Should it be on the sand near the rock, or should I put it down in a crack within the rock itself? I came back to look and another hermit had dragged it off, the top side tentacles of it was sticking to the hermits shell and it was dragging it around.
put it somewhere with less flow. ideally in a crack or hole of the rock work.

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It's in the name. Rock flower anemone. They like to be on rocks, they don't bury the foot in the sand like other anemones. Put it up on a rock, preferably on the back side away from flow or in a crack where it can wedge the foot.

OP
OP
hawk82

hawk82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's in the name. Rock flower anemone. They like to be on rocks, they don't bury the foot in the sand like other anemones. Put it up on a rock, preferably on the back side away from flow or in a crack where it can wedge the foot.
Ahhhh, some sites I went to said to place it in the sand next to a rock. I put it down in a little crevice in the rock, Ill see what happens now. In the store it was just stuck on the bottom glass tank, they had to scrape it up.

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhhh, some sites I went to said to place it in the sand next to a rock. I put it down in a little crevice in the rock, Ill see what happens now. In the store it was just stuck on the bottom glass tank, they had to scrape it up.

That can sometimes work, if the 'nem can work its foot over to the rock, but it's usually easier to get them on a relatively solid surface to begin with. =)

OP
OP
hawk82

hawk82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over due update, I put him in a crack in a rock, it attached. Been doing fine for weeks now, but I notice he comes out bigger at night, and when the lights are going down for dusk. It seems like it shrinks up some during the day with full light, and I think I put it in a bad spot, maybe should of found a spot with more shade, but I dont wanna try to move it now, its attached.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Over due update, I put him in a crack in a rock, it attached. Been doing fine for weeks now, but I notice he comes out bigger at night, and when the lights are going down for dusk. It seems like it shrinks up some during the day with full light, and I think I put it in a bad spot, maybe should of found a spot with more shade, but I dont wanna try to move it now, its attached.
They prefer moderate flow and low light

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 58 49.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 64 54.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • None.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.7%
Back