Rock Flower Anemone

hawk82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to get some food today at the lfs. I was just looking at stuff, and on a whim picked up a rock flower anemone. Now I come home and read about them, Im worried it will kill and eat my fish. Are they safe or best to take it back?

shakacuz

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
you’ll be fine. i have 3 in my tank(two are about a quarter size, the third being a good silver dollar size, not including tentacles) once they find their spot they won’t move. i’ve had hermit crabs walk right on them and nothing happened.

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have them and they've never done anything to any other inhabitant in my tanks. they're not going to attack your fish. I have hermits that crawl across them sometimes and other than the nem getting ticked off and closing up, nothing has ever happened.

Rubber Ducky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 7 in my tank, 3 of them are about 4" wide, and 4 of them are between 2-3"...I have all kinds of corals, fish, crabs, snails never had a problem with the RFAs...they do move around until they get settled, but once they r settled they don't move...got pics?

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to get some food today at the lfs. I was just looking at stuff, and on a whim picked up a rock flower anemone. Now I come home and read about them, Im worried it will kill and eat my fish. Are they safe or best to take it back?
These guys are amazing, nothing to worry about with them eating fish. They cling to things like food but a healthy fish can swim away. Also, crabs can too lol I have hermits cleaning under them all the time

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is permanently hosting my sexy shrimp. :D

CDAF4F5E-A3BD-4F6F-BF5E-5384C9022B21.jpeg

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are favorites of some shrimps and porcelain crabs. Agree with all the other comments - totally reef safe, and probably one of the more interesting reef inhabitants with almost no maintenance.

I just added a new green/yellow/cyan specimen to my menagerie of Caribbean rock flowers.

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Completely safe

OP
OP
hawk82

hawk82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replys! It is so pretty, here is some pictures. One question how long till its sticks to the rock? Its been blowing around a bit, and a crab moved it once looking for food under.

DSCN0627.JPG
DSCN0628.JPG
DSCN0632.JPG

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replys! It is so pretty, here is some pictures. One question how long till its sticks to the rock? Its been blowing around a bit, and a crab moved it once looking for food under.

DSCN0627.JPG
DSCN0628.JPG
DSCN0632.JPG
Until it’s happy, and it still might walk around a bit. You can put a small container with LR in it inside aquarium. Put RFA on rock. It should attach.

shakacuz

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Thanks for the replies! It is so pretty, here is some pictures. One question how long till its sticks to the rock? Its been blowing around a bit, and a crab moved it once looking for food under.

It should take about 2-5 minutes to have its foot stick to the surface. if it is not happy where it is it will continue to move around until it finds its spot.

Back