Rock flower anemones

Kellie in CA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In my experience they are pretty easy. However, they do move (some more than others). I feed them LPS pellets or mysis once or twice a week and they seem to be happy.

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are Rock Flower Anemones easy to care for than bubble tips, do they move less, and will peppermint shrimp eat them.
Personally, my RFA moved more than my bubble tip. I had several that never settled anywhere and didn't make it. I have one that settled and is happy and grown considerably. My BTA planted itself and never moved. Unfortunately, I just lost it this week, though have no idea why. He was shrinking over the last couple of months. I had a peppermint shrimp that seemed to be picking at one of the RFAs that hadn't attached anywhere, but not sure if that was because it was dying, or what.

OP
OP
GHOSTLY

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, my RFA moved more than my bubble tip. I had several that never settled anywhere and didn't make it. I have one that settled and is happy and grown considerably. My BTA planted itself and never moved. Unfortunately, I just lost it this week, though have no idea why. He was shrinking over the last couple of months. I had a peppermint shrimp that seemed to be picking at one of the RFAs that hadn't attached anywhere, but not sure if that was because it was dying, or what.
How would you go about removing a bubble tip

OP
OP
GHOSTLY

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they have a more potent sting than BTA? I don't want them going around attacking expensive zoas and corals. Also do the solo cups work

Kellie in CA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Mine seem to like to nestle themselves in the zoas. They don't seem to harm the zoas initially, but do block their light... so in the long term it becomes a problem.

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
but Short term They don't sting? Or do they sting but just lightly
I would say they sting only slightly. Mine is on my zoa rock, and the zoas touching it stay closed. They haven't died mind you, and it's been there for like a year, but they do stay closed (just the single row bordering the RFA).

OP
OP
GHOSTLY

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say they sting only slightly. Mine is on my zoa rock, and the zoas touching it stay closed. They haven't died mind you, and it's been there for like a year, but they do stay closed (just the single row bordering the RFA).
may I see A picture?

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
may I see A picture?
I was just hunting one down for you lol.

23D2CA50-DC09-40F9-9C6F-E0643BF94EE9.jpeg
4281E9F3-1F51-499C-B12C-88ACCA931BF3.jpeg

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful shot there.
That little guy was the size of a quarter when I got him. He's now 3 to 4" across in 13 months. I only feed him sporadically. Maybe one a month I give him a couple of pieces of freeze dried mysis. Other than that, he gets what he can catch.

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Off topic, but nice plate of scrambled eggs you have there
They are overtaking everything LOL. The initial frag I bought had 11 polyps and broke in two when I was trying to mount it. 8 polyps built this colony in a year. No idea how many are there now. The smaller, 3 polyp frag I mounted elsewhere has also grown rapidly. It gets blasted with light though so hasn't grown as quickly. I did notice it's grown into my alien inferno colony though - hope it doesn't choke it out! They're just prolific in my tank LOL.

OP
OP
GHOSTLY

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait so how come the zoas are not phased by the RFA? Does that mean it should be safe to add to my tank with euphillias, zoas, acans, duncans, and small fish

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 62 36.3%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back