IMG_4571.jpg
IMG_4565.jpg
IMG_4550.jpg

fishnchip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question that's a little off topic.. Love the rock flowers and want to get one soon but I'm nervous they'll eat my clownfish.. Anyone heard of rock flowers eating them?

Lisa Cain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question that's a little off topic.. Love the rock flowers and want to get one soon but I'm nervous they'll eat my clownfish.. Anyone heard of rock flowers eating them?
Mine does not even move except when I fee it shrimp. Unless it is mighty big rock flowers I can not see one eating a clownfish,,, but I am new to the hobby.

A_game43

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang all of them look really nice! I will try and get a pic of one of mine - I have 8 Rock Nems between 2 tanks - love the color/texture/variety!!!

lmm1967

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What lights are you guys using to get those colors to pop like that?

I bought a WYSIWYG flower nem and when I got it - HOLY COW - it's about the color of a chocolate milkshake and looks NOTHING like the colors in the photo.
I expect it to perhaps not be as bright and colorful as a photo used to sell it - but I'm seriously wondering if I even got what I paid for.

ReeferBean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I bought a WYSIWYG flower nem and when I got it - HOLY COW - it's about the color of a chocolate milkshake and looks NOTHING like the colors in the photo.
I expect it to perhaps not be as bright and colorful as a photo used to sell it - but I'm seriously wondering if I even got what I paid for.
What lighting are you running? Most likely the sellers photo was under full blue leds. That's when they glow the best.

lmm1967

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What lighting are you running? Most likely the sellers photo was under full blue leds. That's when they glow the best.

Currently under an Orbit LED - I've played with the colors on the light just to see if I could get some coloration out of it. Might have to put it in my other tank with the Kessil's.

He seems happy - attached almost immediately, has stayed attached and not moved at all. Just fed him a piece of shrimp and he was happy to take it.

Obviously my photo was taken quickly with an iPhone - but the color is accurate to what I see.

Screen Shot 2018-03-13 at 12.55.55 PM.png

fullsizeoutput_133.jpeg

ReeferBean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently under an Orbit LED - I've played with the colors on the light just to see if I could get some coloration out of it. Might have to put it in my other tank with the Kessil's.

He seems happy - attached almost immediately, has stayed attached and not moved at all. Just fed him a piece of shrimp and he was happy to take it.

Obviously my photo was taken quickly with an iPhone - but the color is accurate to what I see.

Screen Shot 2018-03-13 at 12.55.55 PM.png

fullsizeoutput_133.jpeg

Too much white light, not enough blues. Can you run just the blues on that fixture?

tankstudy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Rock anemones look best in the blue spectrum of lighting. If you run T5's, running heavy in the AB+ spectrum will get some colors to appear.

My system runs T5's for about 4 hours during the day, using four AB+ spectrum bulbs. But for most of the day, I run a modified AB+ spectrum on the Radion, that is what your currently seeing in my photo.

If you want colors like the photos, having the majority of your par being in the Royal Blue and blue spectrum will produce those eye burning colors.

Your general white leds or bulbs with a good amount of spectrum with white will make rock anemones look brown.

Have you had any spawn in that tank?

Yes, they do spawn in this tank.

If your fish dives into it, it will be eaten. I have a clown fish atm and it has been in my tank for almost a year now. Some of the dartier fish, like my chromis and damsels have been eaten. My clown usually will look at them and swim away. Very unlikely your clown will attempt to host and get ate as well.

lmm1967

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rock anemones look best in the blue spectrum of lighting. If you run T5's, running heavy in the AB+ spectrum will get some colors to appear.

My system runs T5's for about 4 hours during the day, using four AB+ spectrum bulbs. But for most of the day, I run a modified AB+ spectrum on the Radion, that is what your currently seeing in my photo.

If you want colors like the photos, having the majority of your par being in the Royal Blue and blue spectrum will produce those eye burning colors.

Your general white leds or bulbs with a good amount of spectrum with white will make rock anemones look brown.

Exactly the info I was looking for - Appreciate it !

tankstudy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Besides the size, are there other ways to tell between male and female?

I have not seen any morphological appearances that would allow you to tell the difference between male and female. At the current time, the only way to tell is during spawning and post spawn.

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have three right now. I've had them for a while. I use kind of a trick to keep him in place. I take a very large snail shell like a Mexican turbo or top crown Astria plant the shell upside down in the sand with just the hole showing. Plant The Rock nem inside the hole and I have not had one move yet. They appear to disappear at night but pop out of their shells in the morning.

FB_IMG_1521072555117.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back