Rock from an established tank... how long to "cycle"?

Jesse Sunday

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 14, 2023
Messages
874
Reaction score
481
Location
Sarasota, Florida
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Hi all!

So I have my new brand new 32g tank stocked with about 25 lbs of rock donated by a friend with an established tank. It's full of critters, bristle worms, things slightly smaller than ants that crawl around all the openings, and even a few ball anemones, etc.

The tank has been running (just on the filter pump, Biocube 32, I'm adding power heads tonight... that'll be another question later about directing them) for a week now, and all the "things" seem healthy and active.

How much did I cut down my "cycle" by having that live reef/rock in the tank? I get different opinions from local "experts," so I'm turning to you guys!

Should I add fish: A) Now B) Days C) Weeks D) Other

Thank you!

worm.jpg
 
Hi all!

So I have my new brand new 32g tank stocked with about 25 lbs of rock donated by a friend with an established tank. It's full of critters, bristle worms, things slightly smaller than ants that crawl around all the openings, and even a few ball anemones, etc.

The tank has been running (just on the filter pump, Biocube 32, I'm adding power heads tonight... that'll be another question later about directing them) for a week now, and all the "things" seem healthy and active.

How much did I cut down my "cycle" by having that live reef/rock in the tank? I get different opinions from local "experts," so I'm turning to you guys!

Should I add fish: A) Now B) Days C) Weeks D) Other

Thank you!

worm.jpg
Typically you want to add your bacteria and then ammonia chloride or a piece of shrimp (shrimp for 48 hours). Then you want to monitor ammonia, however this amount a rock will eliminate the need to do so. When your ammonia is steady at zero for 5 days and Nitrate is steady at 20 or below- You are cycled. Ignore nitrIte Unless sky high
The tank will go through two phases in which ammonia will rise then fall and nitrate will rise and fall which is normal. When fish are added, the bacteria population will increase with the new bio load, converting waste to nitrate.
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 10 31.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 16 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 15 46.9%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 25.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new