Rock from an established tank... how long to "cycle"?

Jesse Sunday

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Hi all!

So I have my new brand new 32g tank stocked with about 25 lbs of rock donated by a friend with an established tank. It's full of critters, bristle worms, things slightly smaller than ants that crawl around all the openings, and even a few ball anemones, etc.

The tank has been running (just on the filter pump, Biocube 32, I'm adding power heads tonight... that'll be another question later about directing them) for a week now, and all the "things" seem healthy and active.

How much did I cut down my "cycle" by having that live reef/rock in the tank? I get different opinions from local "experts," so I'm turning to you guys!

Should I add fish: A) Now B) Days C) Weeks D) Other

Thank you!

worm.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi all!

So I have my new brand new 32g tank stocked with about 25 lbs of rock donated by a friend with an established tank. It's full of critters, bristle worms, things slightly smaller than ants that crawl around all the openings, and even a few ball anemones, etc.

The tank has been running (just on the filter pump, Biocube 32, I'm adding power heads tonight... that'll be another question later about directing them) for a week now, and all the "things" seem healthy and active.

How much did I cut down my "cycle" by having that live reef/rock in the tank? I get different opinions from local "experts," so I'm turning to you guys!

Should I add fish: A) Now B) Days C) Weeks D) Other

Thank you!

worm.jpg
Typically you want to add your bacteria and then ammonia chloride or a piece of shrimp (shrimp for 48 hours). Then you want to monitor ammonia, however this amount a rock will eliminate the need to do so. When your ammonia is steady at zero for 5 days and Nitrate is steady at 20 or below- You are cycled. Ignore nitrIte Unless sky high
The tank will go through two phases in which ammonia will rise then fall and nitrate will rise and fall which is normal. When fish are added, the bacteria population will increase with the new bio load, converting waste to nitrate.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back