Rockflower Anemone Gone Walkabout

gbose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my rockflower anemones started moving around , disappeared, then came back in a different place. I've never seen this before - they've always stayed put. Does anyone know what the problem might be?

At the rime of writing, he's MIA again...

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I had two go for a walk one settled into less light the other moved for a good week or two and settled into higher light but isn’t as happy so idk about that one.

It’s hard to pinpoint causes without parameters and maybe a pic of your tank though.

austibella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my rockflower anemones started moving around , disappeared, then came back in a different place. I've never seen this before - they've always stayed put. Does anyone know what the problem might be?

At the rime of writing, he's MIA again...
I have 6 flower anemone. They usually stay put but will move around at times I even thought I lost 2 of them but they went under rocks but came back. They will go where the Flo is right, the food is plenty and lighting., hey if they are not happy they just move... we may not know but they do. Its called survival.

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 of mine stay in their spot. The other 2 change spots each day. It's just how they are, doesn't necessarily mean that they are unhappy. Tank cleaning can influence where they wander as well

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
i had one that was under high light before i bought it. when i put it in my tank it settled then immediately stretched for light. i let it do it’s thing and now it’s in an undesirable spot(found a hole in a shelf rock and is right under the light) it sits perfectly so if you’re looking at the front glass of the tank you can’t even see it! i have two others who have yet to move

all in all, let it do it’s thing but keep track to where they move in case some type of intervention needs to be done.

OP
OP
G

gbose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, thanks guys! I've never had a rockflower move around before, so I thought there must be something really wrong.

He's settled into a crevice - just visible. Maybe wanted less light. Let's see how long he stays there....

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have about 60 or so and there is only one that refuses to stay put. Big white monstrosity that he is, moves every month or two. Tanks been stable for years, he just likes to go for walks.
Usually, if they’re going to move, they do within the first week in the tank and then stay put. This guy is the equivalent of the mouse that always effs up researches lol

OP
OP
G

gbose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ahiggins, thanks for sharing. My medium-sized green was stable for months, and then suddenly started wandering. The other two are pretty well settled.

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ahiggins, thanks for sharing. My medium-sized green was stable for months, and then suddenly started wandering. The other two are pretty well settled.
They’re weird. That’s why I love them so much lol
If the tank is good and all coral are fine but one moves-don’t sweat it at all! He’s just being weird that day or is in the mood for more/less of something.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have about 60 or so and there is only one that refuses to stay put. Big white monstrosity that he is, moves every month or two. Tanks been stable for years, he just likes to go for walks.
Usually, if they’re going to move, they do within the first week in the tank and then stay put. This guy is the equivalent of the mouse that always effs up researches lol
This whole thing gave me a big chuckle.
. Are they spawning in your tank for you?

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This whole thing gave me a big chuckle.
. Are they spawning in your tank for you?
Yea, I’ve got about 4 or 5 batches in there of different sizes. They’re so fun to find and how I get my other half to love the hobby - he loves finding the babies I never see. babies move way more than adults imo. Probably doesn’t help that they attach right under the parent so they kinda have to move to get light lol

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, I’ve got about 4 or 5 batches in there of different sizes. They’re so fun to find and how I get my other half to love the hobby - he loves finding the babies I never see. babies move way more than adults imo. Probably doesn’t help that they attach right under the parent so they kinda have to move to get light lol
I can't Flippin wait..

Singspot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I have 10 RFA and 5 BTAs, all generally do not move in middle of night .. in fact 4 of the 5 BTA sleeps in night but 1 Green BTA grows 10x at night moves for hours on his rock that he shares with a rainbow and completely covers the rainbow ... for long time .. I fall off to sleep and I find next day the green floating over sand bed or inside cave ...

Are green BTAs nocturnal? Can 10x larger green BTA (10 inch when distended) hurt my rainbow (3 inches)?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 140 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back