RODI before or after water softener?

mpatterson42

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 6, 2024
Messages
683
Reaction score
755
Location
Phoenix
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in Phoenix and we have REALLY hard water. I just tested it and it came out to 17GH (300ppm). I also have a water softener that's used for all the water inside the house. Testing that it comes out to 3GH (53ppm). KH is 7 (125ppm) regardless if I use soft or hard water.

Softener is a Rheem Preferred Platinum 42,000 Grain Water Softener and I use salt crystals in it.

I'm planning on setting up an RODI filter to make my own saltwater, but I'm not sure if I should use it before or after the softener, it's easy enough to do either. Hooking it up before the water softener the RODI filters might have to work harder with how hard the water is, but I'm worried that the water coming out of the softener is either too soft or has other things stripped out that might be useful for saltwater.

Thanks for any advice.
 
I live in Phoenix and we have REALLY hard water. I just tested it and it came out to 17GH (300ppm). I also have a water softener that's used for all the water inside the house. Testing that it comes out to 3GH (53ppm). KH is 7 (125ppm) regardless if I use soft or hard water.

Softener is a Rheem Preferred Platinum 42,000 Grain Water Softener and I use salt crystals in it.

I'm planning on setting up an RODI filter to make my own saltwater, but I'm not sure if I should use it before or after the softener, it's easy enough to do either. Hooking it up before the water softener the RODI filters might have to work harder with how hard the water is, but I'm worried that the water coming out of the softener is either too soft or has other things stripped out that might be useful for saltwater.

Thanks for any advice.
The rodi wil strip out almost everything. My vote would be after the softener
 
You want everything stripped out of the water that can be. So when you add your salt mix you get everything added back in known quantities.
 
After softener, since the softener helps bring the hardness down.

I live on a well and use, in this order, mechanical filtration, green sand filter, softener, then rodi. We run around high sulfur, and have tested up to 1,000 ppm during spring melt.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 27.6%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 10 34.5%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 8 27.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 7 24.1%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 31.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 24.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new