RODI booster pump - before or after carbon blocks

Mike Arnold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need help understanding where the booster pump should be added; in my original configuration, I placed it before the sediment filter and it pressured up to 85 psi, then I followed a thread where everyone was saying to place it before the DI canisters, so I placed it there and now it only pressures up to 60 psi; not much more than the house pressure.

it is currently sitting between the auto shutoff and DI canisters

where is the optimal placement?

thanks

BC6D6590-670B-4907-B795-2B133B65A993.JPG 5A0241FB-BA3C-4676-B08F-59D63CF01187.JPG

KG Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the same as your first hook up and the same as Jumbo. Into the First set and am also around 80 psi.
20210504_214135.jpg

sean151

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Booster pump is supposed to go just before the RO filter. You are wasting effort pushing extra pressure through the sediment and carbon filters which are points of restriction and if they were to clog enough you could potentially push too much pressure through the filters (>100psi) to hit 80psi at the RO.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, @sean151. If that in fact is so, I learned something. I might have to go back and review some BRS/Marine Depo videos. On the other hand, I can say my placement makes water fast. Best wishes!

sean151

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, @sean151. If that in fact is so, I learned something. I might have to go back and review some BRS/Marine Depo videos. On the other hand, I can say my placement makes water fast. Best wishes!
Like I said, you can put it before the filters and generally be fine, it's just unnecessary. No need for anyone who isn't having problems to go and swap it right away.

I believe BRStv has contradicting videos on the matter where each say different instructions, which definitely does not help users. I don't blame them for it though, they are just the largest voice with a wealth of knowledge for the time period of each video. So maybe instructions weren't clear from the manufacturer back during an earlier video so reefers had to opt for intuition at that point in time.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mine before any of the filters and have ran it that way for years without issue. I didn't know about putting it after the sediment and carbon until after it was setup and I haven't bothered to change it yet.
As long as it is anywhere before the membrane it should be fine. I believe the theory is that if you put it after the sediment and carbon then the water passing through it will be cleaner and extend the life of your booster pump. Although, my pump is around 20 years old and has ran on a system for about 10 of those years and it's still going strong...plus I think I bought it used (but may be wrong it was a long time ago).

snorklr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the high pressure is necessary to force the water through the membrane...but not the other stages...and o rings and connections will be less prone to leak and plastic cannisters less likely to crack at lower pressures so why subject the whole setup to extra stress

OP
OP
Mike Arnold

Mike Arnold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Inserting the pump after the sediment and carbon filters solved my issue. To be accurate, the pump needs to sit between the last sediment/carbon filters and the pressure gauge; I think the key here is that it needs be anywhere south of the pressure gauge.
IMG_1625.jpg

Thanks for all your help
Mike

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Inserting the pump after the sediment and carbon filters solved my issue. To be accurate, the pump needs to sit between the last sediment/carbon filters and the pressure gauge; I think the key here is that it needs be anywhere south of the pressure gauge.
IMG_1625.jpg

Thanks for all your help
Mike
Old/dead thread but just got an Aquatec CDP 8800 booster pump for my BRS 6 stage RODI unit and was doing some last minute searching.

My plan was to install after last carbon block before RO membrane (same as above).

Two things I came across that are giving me hesitation:
1. Aquatec recommends BEFORE any carbon blocks to avoid carbon fines entering the pump.
2. Found the following statement on some RODI FAQ page that I can't find again now (so may not even apply but caught my attention):

Do NOT install the pump before RO membrane. The pump boosts water pressure in a way of pressure spikes which can damage the membrane. When the pump is installed between the first and second filter, the filter installed after the pump reduces and equalizes water pressure before entering into RO membrane.

Just curious if anyone has ever experienced either of these issues.

OP
OP
Mike Arnold

Mike Arnold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been running this setup for over a year; I just changed out the RO membranes and didn’t appear to be any damage. The booster pump is inserted after the carbon filter and before the DI resin

Attachments

• IMG_2084_Original.jpeg
    IMG_2084_Original.jpeg
    136.5 KB · Views: 57

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve been running after the carbon blocks and before membranes for a few years without issue. Also, when adding new carbon blocks, I remove the line after the carbon blocks and drain into the sink until the carbon blocks run clear. I add one carbon block at a time so the first one doesn’t drain into the new second one when clearing out the dust.

Back