RODI filters questions

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey reefers!

It is my first time shopping for RODI filters. I bought my Spectrapure RODI unit in Jan 2020. This morning the on board TDS meter shows 1 ppm. In the course of its life, I have never replaced any of the filters. ( I wonder if that is the reason why I have two polyps bail out :()

Anyway, my questions:
- Can I use any other brand such as Aquafx to replace the membrane, carbon, and the whole nine yard? Or do I have to go with Spectrapure only?
-What micron size I should get for each one of them to get optimal filtration?

Thanks!

Poof No Eyebrows

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure about the micron size (I order filters from the oem who makes the unit) but you should definitely be changing the filters regularly. Again, my unit recommends every 4000 gallons or 9 months for the three main filters (sediment, and carbon). The di "filter" usually has a color change to indicate the material is exhausted. Also, you shouldn't have to change the membrane that often. I actually drink some of my water every now and then to see if it tastes dirty. Of course mileage will very with use and quality of water supply.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 tds where?

Most systems use the same type of filters.

OP
OP
canadianeh

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure about the micron size (I order filters from the oem who makes the unit) but you should definitely be changing the filters regularly. Again, my unit recommends every 4000 gallons or 9 months for the three main filters (sediment, and carbon). The di "filter" usually has a color change to indicate the material is exhausted. Also, you shouldn't have to change the membrane that often. I actually drink some of my water every now and then to see if it tastes dirty. Of course mileage will very with use and quality of water supply.
I am flushing the membrane right now, and it still shows 1 ppm. I didn't replace the carbon and sediment on the 6 months mark though. I make RODI water about 10 gallons per week. Did I finish the life of the membrane because I didn't change the sediment and carbon at 6 months?

Poof No Eyebrows

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am flushing the membrane right now, and it still shows 1 ppm. I didn't replace the carbon and sediment on the 6 months mark though. I make RODI water about 10 gallons per week. Did I finish the life of the membrane because I didn't change the sediment and carbon at 6 months?
It's possible that not changing the filters had an impact on the ro membrane but I would suspect the only real impact from that would be restricted water flow through the system. The carbon of course loosing its capabilities is a separate item.
If you suspect the membrane has lost its ability to separate those last little solids then I would replace it. Like I said, I check by actually tasting the water. See if it seems salty or not as crisp. Won't hurt you none.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you've gone over a year and just started getting 1 tds (I am assuming after the DI) then my guess is your supply is pretty clean. I'd replace the sediment/ carbon and the di resin if I were you. I am pretty sure that any brand of 10" filter should work, and personally I wouldn't buy spectrapure branded filters (but I am cheap so that plays a part in it). For the sediment I would just replace it with the same micron size as the filter that was originally in it, which I'd guess to be .5 micron although I am not familiar with the spectrapure brand rodi units.
I seriously doubt anything is wrong with your membrane, just replace the other filters and you should be fine.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The membrane i always buy a direct replacement. I think its made by Dow and buy online thru Amazon. I make sure its an exact model# replacement.

The DI resin i always buy at my LFS who carries the BRS brand.

Pre-stage Filters1, 2, 3 ..... I've been buying those at Home Depot. I was shocked HD carries a nice assortment of filters in a certain section. Prices are super competitive plus there's no shipping cost, cash n carry

Last edited:

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like I said on my original post. 1 TDS shows on the onboard TDS meter.
where is that located?

TDS is important in three locations

before and after membrane to determine the efficiency of the membrane

after the di resin to moitor is effectiveness

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back