RODI Install Help!

DaFlava

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm looking to setup my own water mixing station in my garage, rather than use a garden hose for water I was hoping to maybe connect up to my water line I believe goes into my water softener. I'm no plumber and didn't install this but from my understanding is the softener has one main water line and the other goes back into the house after it's been softened. Thinking of changing this 1" PVC pipe to a T connector and then connecting up some sorta RODI valve. Possibly using a saddle valve on that PVC pipe alone but I've heard mixed results using those, possibly getting lower pressure if you do. Anyone have any experience here or thoughts?

Screen Shot 2021-07-05 at 10.51.44 AM.png

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm looking to setup my own water mixing station in my garage, rather than use a garden hose for water I was hoping to maybe connect up to my water line I believe goes into my water softener. I'm no plumber and didn't install this but from my understanding is the softener has one main water line and the other goes back into the house after it's been softened. Thinking of changing this 1" PVC pipe to a T connector and then connecting up some sorta RODI valve. Possibly using a saddle valve on that PVC pipe alone but I've heard mixed results using those, possibly getting lower pressure if you do. Anyone have any experience here or thoughts?

Screen Shot 2021-07-05 at 10.51.44 AM.png

while saddle valves are easy, they aren't to code. Home Handyman magazine recently mentioned and doesn't recommend them.

Be sure your configuration includes water sensor. Mine goes off weekly each time we make water, so it saves us from cleaning up mess, saves us from wasting water, and saves us paying water company for extra wasted water.

Our home we went into wall and connected to washing machine, so you're lucky you have something external you can tap into. Good luck

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would never use a saddle valve. They leak and the pinhole can become clogged easy. That is pex not pvc. Is that the input or output of the water softener? It is best to hook up on the soft side.

ClownSchool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would never use a saddle valve. They leak and the pinhole can become clogged easy. That is pex not pvc. Is that the input or output of the water softener? It is best to hook up on the soft side.
Really? I heard to setup on the hard side of the water softener. What’s the difference? Because, I’m currently using a system setup on the soft side and haven’t seen any problems with my tanks, but was given an unexplained warning about continuing to use that water.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are more likely to scale the membrane with hard water. The most insoluble ions are the ones that a water softener replaces.

OP
OP
D

DaFlava

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soft side or hard side?
Went hard side, I've heard mixed things and don't think there is any issue going either side. My thought was I didn't want to waste additional resources (running the softener, water softener pellets, and power etc) for minimal or no gain.

ClownSchool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went hard side, I've heard mixed things and don't think there is any issue going either side. My thought was I didn't want to waste additional resources (running the softener, water softener pellets, and power etc) for minimal or no gain.
Ive heard the only advantage to going soft side is that reduces scaling of the filter cartridges.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back