rodi install-terrible idea?

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want my rodi installed in the basement but I need a hose spigot added down there first. My plumber is booked and can’t make it over for a few weeks yet. I have a way to run a garden hose from the outside spigot, through a hole in the exterior wall and down into the basement. I would like to start making water now. It would only be temporary until the plumber can squeeze me in.

The only problem I foresee is the outside temperature dropping below freezing overnight and busting a hose or more likely making the source water too cold for the rodi unit to function properly. I plan on feeding as much garden hose as possible into the basement so the only length of hose exposed to the outside would be roughly 4 feet.

I don’t want to temp install the unit with the laundry or under any sinks on the main level because there is nowhere to put a container for the di water or anywhere to drain the waste line. I don’t want the waste line fed into any of my home plumbing because I’m on a septic system.

My plumber is actually the one who suggested I do this temporarily until he can make it over but I’m getting a lot of eye rolls from family about this idea.

Terrible idea??

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe not so bad as long as you can insulate the 4 feet that are outside well enough? I know the feeling of when you want something you want it now, that's me all day lol. So if i was in your shoes i'd be doing this.

OP
OP
TriggerFinger

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought about the insulation too. I’m sure I can come up with something. It would be right up against the house but it’s a shaded area so it might be tricky.

The plumber is doing me a favor and not charging for the spigot adding so I don’t want to bug him. I’ve been trying to figure out a way to make water for like 2 months lolol. I have a 2 year old daughter so that severely limits the place I can put the unit and then the septic tank issue limits me too. The basement is really the only place the baby can’t get to it.

Personally, I thought the plumber had a genius idea;Happy

Thanks for feeling my pain

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think garden hose is a good idea.
I bought a Y adaptor and put it on the cold water line by my wash machine. Or maybe you could remove your shower head and hook up there?
However, as long as the water is moving, it’s very unlikely to freeze.

OP
OP
TriggerFinger

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think garden hose is a good idea.
I bought a Y adaptor and put it on the cold water line by my wash machine. Or maybe you could remove your shower head and hook up there?

My showers are on the 2nd level and my tank is in the basement. That’s 36 stairs I would have to carry 5 gallon buckets down...enough buckets to make 120 gallons of water. Also, nowhere to drain the waste line since it can’t go through my home plumbing. Good idea but won’t work for me.

saintsreturn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would avoid the hose in colder climates. It could and most likely will work fine, but just not what i would do. That said, where is your water heater? Do you have a booster pump? You could tap the water heater in line (i did) and just run the tubing to where you want your RODI to be permanently. I did this in my garage. Only issue i ran into was reducing my pressure by about 20lbs, so i added a boosted pump and away she went.

saintsreturn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to add, if you have no water downstairs and with tubing being so cheap, you could always hook it to something with a y or t and then run the tubing along the baseboards to its location.

Slim64684

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought about the insulation too. I’m sure I can come up with something. It would be right up against the house but it’s a shaded area so it might be tricky.

The plumber is doing me a favor and not charging for the spigot adding so I don’t want to bug him. I’ve been trying to figure out a way to make water for like 2 months lolol. I have a 2 year old daughter so that severely limits the place I can put the unit and then the septic tank issue limits me too. The basement is really the only place the baby can’t get to it.

Personally, I thought the plumber had a genius idea;Happy

Thanks for feeling my pain

Where do you live? Running a hose under or even better through a straw bale will insulate it while making water, then just unhook the hose and bring inside when done.

OP
OP
TriggerFinger

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where do you live? Running a hose under or even better through a straw bale will insulate it while making water, then just unhook the hose and bring inside when done.

Hay bale is a great idea!! St Louis Missouri here. Warmer days are coming, just not today. And I want to make water 2 months ago.

Gonebad395

Anemone hound
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would wait why risk it? And watch a Y fixture don’t go cheap on this route I had one on my RODI unit and it split in the middle of the night and flooded my hallway and I had to rip up the floor. If you go the Y route don’t go cheap. If it was me I would wait if you just got the unit you waited this long why not wait a little longer to be done right.

OP
OP
TriggerFinger

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would wait why risk it? And watch a Y fixture don’t go cheap on this route I had one on my RODI unit and it split in the middle of the night and flooded my hallway and I had to rip up the floor. If you go the Y route don’t go cheap. If it was me I would wait if you just got the unit you waited this long why not wait a little longer to be done right.

Would you recommend a brass Y then? Do I NEED a y? I only need this hook up long ehough for my 75gpd unit to make roughly 120 gallons of water.

OP
OP
TriggerFinger

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soo...what do you guys do with your ro units when you’re not making water?
Do you shut off the water running to the ro unit & just keep the filters wet?

Sod Buster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the marriage saver. It has a shutoff solenoid that is inline before the RO membrane. The sediment, & 2 carbon block chambers hold water pressure. The rest has no pressure. I use it every couple days, so no creep or pressure on the membrane unless in use. I flush the membrane every 2 weeks, my tds to the di cartridges is always 3 or less.

Blackice615

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I unhook my unit but I only make water once a month for my 125. I then transport it to and from the basement. As anxious as I am, I wouldn't rush things in your case. I'll be in STL next week and the temps wont be that bad.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 33 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back