RODI reservoir level vs sump level

Aquarius20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, recently I tried to find solution to stop the osmosis dripping to my sump but without major success. Therefore, I figured that I ask you guys to help me out with this irritating issue, which caused starting from constantly messing my tank salinity ending with flooding of my living room.
The picture represents my sump to the right and my RODI reservoir to the left. Notice, the max level of the RODI is on the 22 inches and the level of my sump water is on 10 inches. Once my tunze osmolator finish pouring in the evaporated rodi to my sump, the pressure from the level differences, slowly drips the Rodi to my sump. It didnt help to install the overclock holder for the rodi wavy line, its still leaking even with that.

Can you guys suggest some way out of this problem?

IMG_7747.jpg

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to install a siphon break

Either drill a downward pointing hole into the tube at the top of the RODI water reservoir (so it points into the water because you will get a jet of water coming out) or install a T piece at the same point at the top, with a length of hose pointing up out of the T

When the pump stops both these methods will suck in air and break the Siphon

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, recently I tried to find solution to stop the osmosis dripping to my sump but without major success. Therefore, I figured that I ask you guys to help me out with this irritating issue, which caused starting from constantly messing my tank salinity ending with flooding of my living room.
The picture represents my sump to the right and my RODI reservoir to the left. Notice, the max level of the RODI is on the 22 inches and the level of my sump water is on 10 inches. Once my tunze osmolator finish pouring in the evaporated rodi to my sump, the pressure from the level differences, slowly drips the Rodi to my sump. It didnt help to install the overclock holder for the rodi wavy line, its still leaking even with that.

Can you guys suggest some way out of this problem?

IMG_7747.jpg

As mentioned, simply don't place the output tube any lower than the highest level in the RO reservoir. If you need to for splashing or noise reasons, make sure there is an air break. A loose fitting larger pipe over the tubing will work.

OP
OP
A

Aquarius20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for helping. I did drill a hole right underneath the top of the reservoir with a valve outside that. My goal was to use it for the emergency overflow, which would be connected straight to the sewer on the wall behind the sump.
Could I use it somehow for the siphon or better for the T piece so that I could have both the emergency overflow and the air break??

Can You show me a picture how that thing looks like so that I could possibly make it myself?

IMG_7750.jpg

OP
OP
A

Aquarius20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to install a siphon break

Either drill a downward pointing hole into the tube at the top of the RODI water reservoir (so it points into the water because you will get a jet of water coming out) or install a T piece at the same point at the top, with a length of hose pointing up out of the T

When the pump stops both these methods will suck in air and break the Siphon
Do you think that I could use the outcome tube with valve for the sewer emenergency overflow "idea" to use it also as a syphone of some sort or make a T piece on the top of it? I am trying to imagine how to make it. Do you have any idea?

Attachments

• IMG_7750.jpg
    IMG_7750.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 27

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok I get it now. How to get such siphon if I am using a small diameter tubing for my Tunze osmolator?
Its the laws of physics i think but it will siphon

Its something you have to be very aware of when designing aquariums and the various systems to avoid a wet floor! Lol

OP
OP
A

Aquarius20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
move your outlet up so it is higher then the max level in your ato tank
That wont work, tried it already:(. the preasure is too high during the tunze refill. The best would be

Smart ATO Siphon Breaker.​

Unfortunately I cant find it in my local stores. Will try to get it over the net.

OP
OP
A

Aquarius20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its the laws of physics i think but it will siphon

Its something you have to be very aware of when designing aquariums and the various systems to avoid a wet floor! Lol
Really ?:)
But your first taught with siphon was the best shot. thx

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look like Coral vue is the only site that has a siphon breaker at a decent price link

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That wont work, tried it already:(. the preasure is too high during the tunze refill. The best would be

Smart ATO Siphon Breaker.​

Unfortunately I cant find it in my local stores. Will try to get it over the net.

It will work. If the outlet of the line from the pump is higher then the max level in ato tank it will not siphon.

Go to the hardware store or parts store and get a hose connector then drill a hole in it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back