RODI slow leak.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I noticed that my 6-stage 150gpd rodi developed a slow leak from the out-line on the flush valve here:

20191229_070750.jpg

I tried pulling the black tube out and cut about an inch off the end and reinsert, and pull back a bit. That had slowed the leak down but didn't not completely eliminate it.

Is there anything else I can do? Is the push-connect on that end replaceable? Or do I have to replace the whole flush valve? Kinda sucks that a 4 month old unit is leaking, but I'm glad I caught it early.

Cheers.

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What did you cut the tubing with? It's really important to have clean cuts inside those push fittings. BRS sells a little $5 tool that includes a fixed blade for cutting it very nicely. Before attempting to change the flush valve you might want to try making a clean cut if you haven't already.

OP
OP
AbjectMaelstroM

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What did you cut the tubing with? It's really important to have clean cuts inside those push fittings. BRS sells a little $5 tool that includes a fixed blade for cutting it very nicely. Before attempting to change the flush valve you might want to try making a clean cut if you haven't already.

I've got one of these:

TmallTech Pipe Tube Hose Cutter 1/4" 3/8" 1/2" PVC Nylon PU for RO Reverse Osmosis System

The unit came 95% pre-assembled, including the flush valve so I would think they would have used a similar tool at the time of assembly.

Is the push-connect fitting itself replaceable? Before I consider buying a valve. Would something like this be covered under warranty?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would call them and ask what to do. Prob easier to replace the valve than the fitting.

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'd contact BRS if you think its not a clean cut / tubing issue. Their RODI units have a lifetime warranty so they will make repairs if necessary if the damage isn't due to negligence.

They sell replacement flush valves on their website as well. Here is a link.

OP
OP
AbjectMaelstroM

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'd contact BRS if you think its not a clean cut / tubing issue. Their RODI units have a lifetime warranty so they will make repairs if necessary if the damage isn't due to negligence.

They sell replacement flush valves on their website as well. Here is a link.

Yeah know that they sell them, just wanted to see if anything else that can be done before I buy one.

I reached out to BRS, will see how it goes. At the end of the day it's a $10 part, which is a drop in a bucket in this hobby, but at the same time I wouldn't expect to have to start replacing parts after 4 months of ownership.

Thank you everyone for your help.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unseat the black tubing 100%, re cut the end of the tube clean with a razor knife. (Place the tubing on a solid surface and push straight down with the razor to make a clean straight cut)
Re install black tubing with a little dab of silicone grease aroud the end of the tube where it seats inside the fitting. Sometimes the o ring inside the fittings gets dry and when the tube gets inserted it ends up with a weak seal.
Try this before replacing the fitting and also check that the o ring isnt twisted inside the flush valve fitting.
Cheers! I hope you figure it out before buying something!

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah know that they sell them, just wanted to see if anything else that can be done before I buy one.

I reached out to BRS, will see how it goes. At the end of the day it's a $10 part, which is a drop in a bucket in this hobby, but at the same time I wouldn't expect to have to start replacing parts after 4 months of ownership.

Thank you everyone for your help.

It sounds like you've done all that we would normally ask in terms of troubleshooting. We'll replace this for you. If you'd like, you can send us a PM with your account email and I can take care of this replacement directly.

OP
OP
AbjectMaelstroM

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It sounds like you've done all that we would normally ask in terms of troubleshooting. We'll replace this for you. If you'd like, you can send us a PM with your account email and I can take care of this replacement directly.

Tyler already took care of me. New flush valve is on the way. :D

Fantastic service as usual.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 110 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back