RODI system planning

GWHouston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm needing advice and ideas for my RODI system and mixing tanks. I have my DT on the main floor built into the wall between a bedroom closet and the LR. I have no room in the closet once I place my small utility sink in there. Plus the weight of two 25 gal tanks would be weight prohibitive to mount up on the wall (even if I could place the supports in studs). My idea was to place the RODI and the tanks in the attic space above and run the post mixing tank line down through the floor/ceiling into the closet with a cut off valve and dispense when needed. Winter time is no problem as heating the water is easy. But what about summer when the temps in the attic are in the 80's? Since the DT will be around 77 to 78 degrees, will this temp difference be too substantial for a water change? Addendum: I'm also putting a full hood over the tank.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will you have a top off tank inside the house? Like my 750XXL has a 7 gallon holding tank, I don't worry too much about the temp of the water in the holding tank as it basically just drips in with a float. Depending on where you live attic may still be a problem for RO. As if it is below freezing when the system is not making water it could freeze and crack housings, if you live somewhere where it doesn't get below freezing it may be a moot point. If you are somewhere very warm in summer I would also be worried about water being too hot as attics run usually at least 20 degrees above outdoor temp.

Last edited:
OP
OP
GWHouston

GWHouston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if I will have a holding tank (not sure how that is used). My other option is the basement (conditioned) and pump it up 18 ft to the tank. Much easier option as far as installation and storage but will have to buy another pump to move the water. Our attic space prob gets to the 90's in the hot of the summer (well insulated and with air exchange). Winters are no problem here in AL. Much of the same questions you have I have as well. The attic space is such that I could build a small isolation room around the system and then acclimate it as needed. Question remains...in the basement and pump it up the next level or attic and build the enclosure for housing.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if I will have a holding tank (not sure how that is used). My other option is the basement (conditioned) and pump it up 18 ft to the tank. Much easier option as far as installation and storage but will have to buy another pump to move the water. Our attic space prob gets to the 90's in the hot of the summer (well insulated and with air exchange). Winters are no problem here in AL. Much of the same questions you have I have as well. The attic space is such that I could build a small isolation room around the system and then acclimate it as needed. Question remains...in the basement and pump it up the next level or attic and build the enclosure for housing.

So my holding tank sits above sump in the cabinet under display. Gravity feeds the fresh RO water into pump well in the sump, just by a simple float allowing water to flow as needed. I have my RO system in basement rigged up to a 55 gallon brute trashcan. Then I pump that water up from basement to my holding tank. Basement would be best route IMO (less to worry about). Just make sure you source proper pump for getting water up to your tank. I will try to get you a pic of my setup.

OP
OP
GWHouston

GWHouston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could do the holding tank above my DT on a shelf. Or should I do one of my 25 gal there with the mix in it instead? Sorry to overload you with questions...this is a big help.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't worry about the questions, that's what this place is for, I have learned so much and gained so many great ideas in the short time I've belonged to this forum! Here is what my sump looks like. You don't have to have a holding tank "in sump". Mine came with system, and it's very useful as my system has open top and burns about 1.5-2 gal a day. So I only have to pump water up to my top off tank once every 4 or 5 days. I ran my water line from brute in basement up through the wall before I installed system. I have it hooked to a smart outlet, so I just hit a button on my phone and watch it fill up. I helped @4FordFamily do the same thing at his house (his basement is finished so it was a bit more challenging than mine, but we got it.). He doesn't use a top off tank, he just pumps the fresh directly into sump about once a week.
IMG_20180208_204745763-4008x3006.jpg
so in the pic below you can see the little white float that keeps the proper water level in the pump well
IMG_20171124_131537969-4008x3006.jpg

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In an attic I would also be concerned with adding additional humidity (for mold concerns) and then be concerned with attic insulation getting in somehow, which sounds preposterous but I’m pretty paranoid!

OP
OP
GWHouston

GWHouston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK So I decided to put it in the basement since its near my plumbing, conditioned, and the closet is ready (except for the mess in it). Not gonna use a top off tank though. I have the iris smart system and will use a smart plug also to turn on the pump as well. I've purchased two 25 gal tanks for my RODI and mixing...hope this is large enough.

OP
OP
GWHouston

GWHouston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In an attic I would also be concerned with adding additional humidity (for mold concerns) and then be concerned with attic insulation getting in somehow, which sounds preposterous but I’m pretty paranoid!

Thats a good point. If I had decided to put it up there, I would have built closet walls around it to keep the dust down.

OP
OP
GWHouston

GWHouston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do I get more badges? Build thread contributor? etc?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
GWHouston

GWHouston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size sand granuals do I need for my tank? Looking at BRS special grade arag alive. 1-2 mm

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sand size is personal preference. Also slightly could depend on your livestock. If you are into wrasse and life that lives below the surface, then you want something fine enough that they can borrow. I would stay away from ultra fine though as it's hard to keep it put, with flow etc. I am somewhere in the middle between fine and coarse.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back