RODI Unit producing A LOT of waste water, but only drops of filtered?

OP
OP
Brooke24

Brooke24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the aquatic booster from BRS. I like it a lot.
I thought I ran my rodi long enough to get the carbon dust out from the filter, when I had the rodi water I didn’t see any dust in it at all. I mixed my water with salt, tested temp and salinity, all good. I added it to my tank, and I’m seeing a bunch of stuff floating around the tank? Is that carbon dust? Will it harm my fish?

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I ran my rodi long enough to get the carbon dust out from the filter, when I had the rodi water I didn’t see any dust in it at all. I mixed my water with salt, tested temp and salinity, all good. I added it to my tank, and I’m seeing a bunch of stuff floating around the tank? Is that carbon dust? Will it harm my fish?
carbon?? it should be before your membrane... no dust would be in your clean water (other than DI).. which is not dusty

Fishfinder

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
50psi, will get you some water but for optimal performance you’ll want it around 70psi.

very unlikely that it is carbon. Did you mix the water until it was clear? Then you are just fine. New water is always a little cloudy when i add it

OP
OP
Brooke24

Brooke24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
carbon?? it should be before your membrane... no dust would be in your clean water (other than DI).. which is not dusty
50psi, will get you some water but for optimal performance you’ll want it around 70psi.

very unlikely that it is carbon. Did you mix the water until it was clear? Then you are just fine. New water is always a little cloudy when i add it
Yes I mixed it, it’s not cloudy. It just looks like there is stuff floating around in it

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

his units states optimal PSI is 40-65.. he should be fine @ 50psi

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the floating around is your "salt" water, not just the clean rodi??

if so, what salt mix are you using?

Turnage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Increase the temperature of the incoming water. This will improve the efficiency of the membrane.

OP
OP
Brooke24

Brooke24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Increase the temperature of the incoming water. This will improve the efficiency of the membrane.
Okay, thanks!! I have a manual flush valve, do I turn the flush valve on when my turn on/off valve for the supply is on?

OP
OP
Brooke24

Brooke24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes your right. The 100GPD runs at 50psi. It’s the smaller membranes that run at 80psi
Alright thanks! Sorry, I’m completely new to the rodi, the plumbing part of salt is what confuses me most. To use my flush valve, do I switch on my automatic shut off valve for it to work? If I turn on my flush valve nothing comes out of the waste, so how do I use it?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back