RODI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of RODI system do you use? I’m currently using RO Buddie and I feel like I’m wasting so much water to get a clean water. Also the resin filter is already discoloured more than halfway when I only used about 38 gallons of water out of it. The LFS that sold me it told me to run the system for 24 hours before using the water. After that 24 hours I got the 38 gallons and it seems I need to change the resin already. Is that even normal?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What type of RODI system do you use? I’m currently using RO Buddie and I feel like I’m wasting so much water to get a clean water. Also the resin filter is already discoloured more than halfway when I only used about 38 gallons of water out of it. The LFS that sold me it told me to run the system for 24 hours before using the water. After that 24 hours I got the 38 gallons and it seems I need to change the resin already. Is that even normal?
You can get a BRS - system - where the 'dirty water' - goes through another system - which results in 1. Faster water production and 2. Less water wastage.

Second - no that is not 'normal' - but I dont know how 'big' the RO buddy is - or what the TDS of your incoming water is. The BRS model is nice - because there is a built in (in-line) TDS monitor - that tells you the TDS of your incoming water - and the TDS of the outgoing water.

Upvote 0

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same issue with my RO Buddie, went through DI resin like it was going out of style while producing lots of waste water. Ended up getting a 150gpd BRS unit and never looked back, very happy with the switch.

Upvote 0

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a BRS unit. It is a 6 stage unit: sediment filter, two carbon blocks, RO filter, and 2 canisters of DI resin hooked in series. I also have 2 gizmos that measure TDS: one after the RO filter and the other after the first DI canister. Oh, and my unit is a 75 gpd. The unit makes at least 75 gallons per day. Since my RO storage unit is 44 gallons, that is more than plenty.

Many people really like the Spectrapure units. Spectra pure is reputed to have the most efficient RO filters which means you go through less DI resin (the place where you will spend $$$).

I have heard that Buckeye Hydro makes good units also.

I bought a BRS (Bulk Reef Supply) because they have a pot load of you tube videos on their systems which makes getting them up and running much easier.

Upvote 0

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back