• Total voters

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s cause it’s supposta be kept frozen not in the fridge
I break off a chunk and use it for a few days, keep in the fridge between uses. The package remains frozen.
I don’t even bother to thaw it in water. I break pieces off in the package, in the plastic still so my hands don’t stink as much, and then toss it in the water

I don’t know how so many people have the patience for complicated feeding rituals for their tanks.
My wrasse will take the entire frozen chunk of food. Not complicated to thaw enough food for a few days.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I break off a chunk and use it for a few days, keep in the fridge between uses. The package remains frozen.

My wrasse will take the entire frozen chunk of food. Not complicated to thaw enough food for a few days.
I can’t imagine the smell of it after a few days in the fridge

ReefGrammie

Must...stay...away...from...live...sales...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love Rod's...have used it for many years. I thaw enough in the frig for the fish and use it within probably 3-4 days. You'll know if it's gone bad. ;Sour I generally use Rod's combined with a few Hikari frozen cubes, also thawed in the frig, sometimes with Selcon added.

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rods food is not special, its rather basic and if mishandled in shipping it will make fish very sick as it has no preservatives. It also lacks basic vitamins and amino acids, and therefore I would see the need of soaking it beforehand. I have used both and prefer alternative routes personally, but prefer just about anything to rods.

Jeremy K.A.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love rods food, I've tried LRS and hated it. My main frozen foods are Hikari, and SFBB though

rockdiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use both plus other frozens and when I'm up to it I make my own but not to often

merkmerk73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine prefer anything over Rods for some reason. They like LRS, but love the homemade food I make. Its cheaper and you get to choose what you add.
I know this is old, and sorry Rod, but IMO/IMO Rod's sucks.

It's messy and chunky and my fish don't care for it. And it's expensive.

LRS is a much better option in my experience but honestly one of the best workhorses is good ol' Hikari mysis. It's clean and small.

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I read a ton of good things about LRS and wanted to try it, but none of my LFSs sell it. I was told Rod's was the same thing so I bought that. . . I was disappointed.

My fish did not seem to like rods and it seemed to coincide with cyano popping up. . . I have a bunch left over in my freezer but I don't use it and don't plan to. I read a bunch of great things about LRS and mixed things about Rod's. . .

I will try LRS in the future.

reveriesh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read a ton of good things about LRS and wanted to try it, but none of my LFSs sell it. I was told Rod's was the same thing so I bought that. . . I was disappointed.

My fish did not seem to like rods and it seemed to coincide with cyano popping up. . . I have a bunch left over in my freezer but I don't use it and don't plan to. I read a bunch of great things about LRS and mixed things about Rod's. . .

I will try LRS in the future.
I had similar problems with Rods. LFS is fantastic. I use their Reef Frenzy recipe so everyone in my tank is happy, herbivores, omnivores, coral, etc

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 110 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back