Roll the dice, what are the odds?

Stege_saurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would the odds be of an anemone carrying a parasite such as ich, or velvet or any of the works at an LFS?

What about invertebrates?(snails, crabs etc)

I don't have the best means to quarantine an anemone due to lighting constraints. I also am VERY paranoid that everything has some sort of disease that would kill my fish.

*Tank has been up and running for over 2 years*

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although the anemone or other invert is unlikely to be a carrier for either ich or velvet, the water they come in can certainly contain the free swimming stages. At the very minimum I'd consider a couple of temp/salinity matched transfers (rinses?)to reduce the possible transmission.

hth!

OP
OP
Stege_saurus

Stege_saurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although the anemone or other invert is unlikely to be a carrier for either ich or velvet, the water they come in can certainly contain the free swimming stages. At the very minimum I'd consider a couple of temp/salinity matched transfers (rinses?)to reduce the possible transmission.

hth!
Would elaborate a little more please? I've forgotten some of the terms in the hobby...ugh.

Little c big D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would elaborate a little more please? I've forgotten some of the terms in the hobby...ugh.
basically have a few bowls of your tank water and temp match bag. Then "dip" the nem a couple of times to rinse off the possible free swimming disease that might have been in their water. Did the LFS have it in a system with fish present? Or were the fish separated from inverts?

OP
OP
Stege_saurus

Stege_saurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
basically have a few bowls of your tank water and temp match bag. Then "dip" the nem a couple of times to rinse off the possible free swimming disease that might have been in their water. Did the LFS have it in a system with fish present? Or were the fish separated from inverts?
I don't know yet to be honest. I'm going to the LFS later and kind of wanted to be prepared just in case I find something. I haven't gotten anything yet.

Little c big D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know yet to be honest. I'm going to the LFS later and kind of wanted to be prepared just in case I find something. I haven't gotten anything yet.
I think everything is disease ridden and is going to crash my tank, it's some unreasonable fear. So I get it. Don't stress it. Good advice from @Billdogg

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd use a couple of 5g buckets if it were me. Remember the phrase "Dilution is the Solution to Pollution". The exact same will apply here. Transfer the anemone to the first bucket filled with temperature and salinity matched water with an absolute minimum of LFS water. Allow it to sit in the for a couple minutes and then do the same thing with a second bucket. You will have removed just about all chances of transferring anything harmful to your tank. The only thing you cannot control is the fact that the anemone will still retain some of the water from the LFS, but that will be a very small amount.

OP
OP
Stege_saurus

Stege_saurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd use a couple of 5g buckets if it were me. Remember the phrase "Dilution is the Solution to Pollution". The exact same will apply here. Transfer the anemone to the first bucket filled with temperature and salinity matched water with an absolute minimum of LFS water. Allow it to sit in the for a couple minutes and then do the same thing with a second bucket. You will have removed just about all chances of transferring anything harmful to your tank. The only thing you cannot control is the fact that the anemone will still retain some of the water from the LFS, but that will be a very small amount.
Thank you for this. I didn't know it was possible.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 60 85.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back