OP
OP
R

Ray's Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok , the new filter material works great. The best part is it can be purchased at any local Walmart, you can purchase any kind of paper that you desire from thick to thin. Have a great day and enjoy.:D:D

ShawnB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds great. So can you share a link or a description of what you are using now.

I plan on building this for my setup one of these days. So many reeef projects planned here in the future.

OP
OP
R

Ray's Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds great. So can you share a link or a description of what you are using now.

I plan on building this for my setup one of these days. So many reeef projects planned here in the future.
911ffw1 100% polyester featherweight, You can also get it with a thicker micron, It does not say any micron on it , What i did was bring a sock with me and hold the paper with the lights above to see how much i could see through it. best part is you can try all different and see what works best for your system.

OP
OP
R

Ray's Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone built there own roller filter yet, Has anyone tried the paper yet. If so please let me know as to what you think. Thanks, Ray.

ehutchby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ray and others, many thanks for taking your time to post your findings about the roller filter. I too like to design my system to make my maintenance easier (more time with my family, etc). Question: Does the used roller smell? My skimmer, when running, doesn't smell at all, but I would think that the used filter paper would start to stink pretty bad after a couple of days. Thoughts?

OP
OP
R

Ray's Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ray and others, many thanks for taking your time to post your findings about the roller filter. I too like to design my system to make my maintenance easier (more time with my family, etc). Question: Does the used roller smell? My skimmer, when running, doesn't smell at all, but I would think that the used filter paper would start to stink pretty bad after a couple of days. Thoughts?
First off thank you and everyone that has been following this post:). This is a question many ask, does the paper smell, no it does not because the paper always is moist, does not have time to dry out in turn start to decay and smell. Second is your protien skimmer will work less as the filter paper turns more often then you change a filter sock you are less apt to put the junk back into the water columb! :):):):):):D

OP
OP
R

Ray's Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so I see where some people are actually building there own roller filters, that is good , i am glad people are finally seeing the advantage of the filter and not having to deal with those crummy socks. Good luck to all who build and hope this info helped. I am actually starting to sell these now for those that do not want to build one. :D enjoy.

Daniel Strickland

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good write up, I enjoyed reading it.. I am installing a roller filter on my 180g build.. it just makes sense to me.. you mentioned incorporating a ATS with the roller filter. Have you done this?? If so how was the performance?? I ask because this as well is in my build plans, skimmer, carbon/GFO reactor and I think I should be able to maintain a awesome reef tank with minimal maintenance...

OP
OP
R

Ray's Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the comment, I am glad that you liked the comparison of the two filter types to filter a tank. as of yet i have not completed the roller filter with the scrubber, I have been very busy lately and will finish it soon, there will be a video on it also, good luck with your build and hope all works well, keep us posted with your progress as i would like to see how you did you filter,Ray.

OP
OP
R

Ray's Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HERE IS THE MATERIAL USED IN THE ROLLER FILTER, 100% POLYESTER, MACHINE WASHABLE, REUSEABLE OVER AND OVER AGAIN. WALMART HAS IT. ITS RIGHT AT YOUR FINGER TIPS. AS FAR AS MICRON GOES, I WOULD HAVE TO SAY 60 OR LESS, JUST A GUESS.

ehutchby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ray, or anyone else, know of anyone building custom sumps with a built in rollormat filter? Or how about buying a Theiling Rollormat and building a sump around it? thoughts?

skim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry if was said or not as I did not want to go through the 9 pages. Did you happen to do a comparison of Nitrate and Phosphate between the 2 tanks?

OP
OP
R

Ray's Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry if was said or not as I did not want to go through the 9 pages. Did you happen to do a comparison of Nitrate and Phosphate between the 2 tanks?
In the begining they both were pretty close , then as weeks went by the filter sock tank phosphates rose fast as to were the roller filter tank was steady, the filer sock tank was getting really cloudy also. In the end after running for over 2 months I shut them down as to were the difference was clear and in the vids it shows the results. some will still swear by there filter socks but all i can say is I WILL NEVER AND I MEAN NEVER USE A NASTY WATER POLLUTING FITER SOCK AGAIN!

skim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought that would be the outcome. I would love to have Roller Filter between that and a good skimmer tanks would take on a new meaning of clean by both Particulate and Nitrate and Phosphate, as both remove the garb right from the water column. Did you make yours?

OP
OP
R

Ray's Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought that would be the outcome. I would love to have Roller Filter between that and a good skimmer tanks would take on a new meaning of clean by both Particulate and Nitrate and Phosphate, as both remove the garb right from the water column. Did you make yours?
Yes i did, and i also see some on youtube making there own!

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.9%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 32 16.4%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 49.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%

Back