OP
OP
R

Ray's Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that answers that. No way will a 300 micron sock filter out as much as a 60 micron paper. Pointless comparison IMO.
There are 100 micron socks easily available.
The finer the micron the more often need to be changed. THATS WHY ITS A AUTOMATIC ROLLER FILTER. cut a piece of this paper , make a sock, put it on your tank. you will be changing it in a couple hours, then another couple hours, then another couple hours! See what im saying now. AUTOMATIC WITH FINER FILTER PAPER. thats the purpose of this;);)

OP
OP
R

Ray's Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd have to figure out how to get that paper on Amazon to work on my theiling.
you will have to cut it, no getting around it, i use a 12''
I'd have to figure out how to get that paper on Amazon to work on my theiling.
You will hve to cut it, no getting around that. you can use a hacksaw with a 21 tooth blade, you just have to spin the roll as you go cause you can only cut so deep as it hits the handle on the saw.

OP
OP
R

Ray's Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you will have to cut it, no getting around it, i use a 12''

You will hve to cut it, no getting around that. you can use a hacksaw with a 21 tooth blade, you just have to spin the roll as you go cause you can only cut so deep as it hits the handle on the saw.
If you can send some good close up pics, im sure there is a way, its still a paper roll

SVP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get a 10 micron filter sock from MD online in either 4 inch or 7 inch both are under 10 bucks. I have purchased them, that being said I also have seen all sizes up to 100 micron. I do see some degree of the roller filter being a good filter unit. I personally would have liked you to campare apples to apples in your micron sizes it really does skew the results of the experiment. Nonetheless in our hobby there are a thousand ways to get what you want out of your system and everybody has a different opinion on how that should be accomplished. It is a cool way to filter your aquarium and seems to be relatively maintenance free although extremely expensive. Nice thread though I have been wondering how they work and how good they are. Good on you for sharing your knowledge and experience!

OP
OP
R

Ray's Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get a 10 micron filter sock from MD online in either 4 inch or 7 inch both are under 10 bucks. I have purchased them, that being said I also have seen all sizes up to 100 micron.
Thats good to know, how did the 10 micron work out.
Nonetheless in our hobby there are a thousand ways to get what you want out of your system and everybody has a different opinion on how that should be accomplished.
That is very true
Nice thread though I have been wondering how they work and how good they are. Good on you for sharing your knowledge and experience!
Thanks for the comment, I have been around saltwater aquariums a long time. There have been times were i just wanted to throw in the towel and give up.A COOL HEAD WILL PREVAIL :)

SVP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just like it was mentioned earlier in this thread a 10 micron catches everything so it's not great for a sump it clogs quicker. But I also used it in a brute can to catch the phosphate precipitate when I was using phosfree and a pump that was when I was leaching out the phosphates of my pukani rock after an acid wash. They worked perfect for that. Like I said though your thread is informative and we always need people to share their knowledge otherwise reefkeeping will not progress. Just remember what it was like before the internet 25 years ago.

OP
OP
R

Ray's Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just like it was mentioned earlier in this thread a 10 micron catches everything so it's not great for a sump it clogs quicker.
That is why i made my own roller filter, I want to collect the bad nutrients before they go back into the water column.
Like I said though your thread is informative and we always need people to share their knowledge otherwise reefkeeping will not progress. Just remember what it was like before the internet 25 years ago.
Thank you for your comments, No matter what things will improve in reef keeping and people will always come up with something that will drasticly improve the chances for a better tank .

reef_ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Since I have started using my HP Aquaristic 10000 roller mat filter my biggest problem has been keeping phosphates in the system, the media is a 1 micron roll in this unit.
IMG_1082 by watsonj0, on Flickr
IMG_1081 by watsonj0, on Flickr

This thing looks really cool. Can you tell me how the water enters and exist? And what size pipes you use for it? I am pushing close to 2,000 gph through my sump using three 7" filter socks. I'm sick of replacing and cleaning them. I checked out the manufacturer website and know the basic dimensions, but not how it operates and what room is required in/om the sump.

From the last picture, it looks like you plugged an outlet. Is that an emergency overflow or a second input?

Jonty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The plugged outlet actually houses A 50 W UV light which I did not have installed in this picture. The water comes in on the other side, and exits through the bottom. PM me an email and I can send you a footprint drawing.

OP
OP
R

Ray's Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thing looks really cool. Can you tell me how the water enters and exist? And what size pipes you use for it? I am pushing close to 2,000 gph through my sump using three 7" filter socks. I'm sick of replacing and cleaning them. I checked out the manufacturer website and know the basic dimensions, but not how it operates and what room is required in/om the sump.

From the last picture, it looks like you plugged an outlet. Is that an emergency overflow or a second input?
I just looked thru all of your pics and i have to say they are very impresive !

The Rook

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't ran filter socks for 2+ years. My tank hasn't crashed, and I would say corals are thriving....

You make it sound like corals in one tank we're doing better just because of the roller filter, I find that very hard to believe.
How often do you clean your sump then? Its a trade off typically. Clean filter socks or clean your sump.

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.8%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 33 16.8%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 49.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back